VLC and Real Video

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
dufour.emmanuel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC and Real Video

Postby dufour.emmanuel » 16 Jan 2004 10:37

I know VLC has no built-in codec for *.rm files but is it possible and how to read anyway these files with an external codec ?

Emmanuel DUFOUR.

Quaoar
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Quaoar » 16 Jan 2004 11:08

If you want a useful answer to your question it would be as well to let us know which operating system you are using. As regards getting friendly with RM files under Windows without using a Real Networks player:

There is a program called "Real Alternative 1.11" which can be downloaded from <http://mirror.edskes.com>. I've never tried it. If you want to write streaming RM files away to your hard disc try out a program called Streambox VCR.

dufour.emmanuel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dufour.emmanuel » 16 Jan 2004 11:13

sorry, I have forgotten :-(
vlc 0.7.0 / Red Het 9.0

sash
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sash » 16 Jan 2004 15:22

for realplayer files and linux. you can find realplayer there ia realplayer8 and realone player. they both work fine with all the realplayer files. but it is a bit hard to find a link on their website. you sort of get turned in circles. then all of a sudden the link is there. I guess the best way to find it there is to use a googlesearch.. maybe vlc can use there codec from this linux player in thier vlc player..

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 16 Jan 2004 19:01

VLC is getting some very basic rm support btw. It's still in early development though. And it will only work with the older Real codecs, since there are no opensource versions of the newer codecs yet.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”