How to change playback speed WITH audio

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Reven
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to change playback speed WITH audio

Postby Reven » 18 Jun 2010 21:17

I have a bunch of videos that have an incorrect playback speed. I went to use VLC to play them at a reduced speed setting, and found out that VLC has fancy-dancy audio stretching that keeps the audio at the same pitch regardless of playback speed. Is there a way for VLC to play back at a different speed without it cleverly messing with the audio pitch?

Interestingly, as I was grepping around the forum, back in the days when changing VLC's playback speed did change the pitch accordingly, I found a thread where people were requesting the behaviour that VLC has now. I say interestingly, because at the time, the community consensus seemed to be that the pitch-preserving audio stretching was a fringe feature, useful for perhaps forensics, and that the speed altering in VLC was specifically designed so it could be used to compensate for videos with incorrect playback rates. I guess somewhere along the way someone decided that playing a music video at 1.5 speed with preserved audio was what most people wanted in the playback rate adjustment? Or is this feature perhaps actually useful in a way I cannot see?
Ex Turbo Modestum

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: How to change playback speed WITH audio

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 19 Jun 2010 02:20

Tools -> Preferences -> Audio -> Enable Time-Stretching audio.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Rasheeke
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rasheeke » 21 Jul 2010 07:52

Tools -> Preferences -> Audio -> Enable Time-Stretching audio.

Yeah I tried this, did NOT(see edits) work. With this option on or off, faster playback or slower, I couldn't get it working.

As well, the +/- options to speed and slow down playback slowed down the playback too great of an interval, if I was looking to slow down playback while getting the right audio pitch I'd be slowing it too much for what I wanted. A scrollable scale would be best.

**EDIT** I had to restart VLC for Rémi Denis-Courmont 's suggestion to work, but my comment on scaling the speed-up and speed-down of +/- still is true.

**EDIT EDIT! Tools>Preferences>Audio>Filters>Scaletempo>Overlap length the lowest it can go is 0.01 and switching it to that is the best/closest I can get to the result I really want - slower pitch with slower payback, but I'd like to have 1 or 2 more significant digits, being able to make it 0.005, 0.001, even as low as 0.0001. Being able to contorl it at that fine of a level would be perfect.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 21 Jul 2010 19:31

Use Tools -> Preferences -> All -> Playback -> Playback speed if you want fine tuning. You can also use --rate from the command line.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Rasheeke
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rasheeke » 22 Jul 2010 01:40

Use Tools -> Preferences -> All -> Playback -> Playback speed if you want fine tuning. You can also use --rate from the command line.

I can't seem to find that option in the direction you pointed at, could you double check?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 22 Jul 2010 16:30

It is there (vlc 1.1.0+).
Rémi Denis-Courmont

wateras
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wateras » 20 Mar 2011 01:32

It works in vlc but for some reason the quality is not quite right. You can notice this especially ifyou speed up the audio, it will rapidly degrade. I've tried the same in gomplayer and that goes up to 2x+ and still remains very understandable and clear, but gom uses more cpu than vlc, which is why I wish vlc had better audio time stretching.

MrV001
New Cone
New Cone

More help please - Re: How to change playback speed WITH aud

Postby MrV001 » 18 Nov 2011 10:05

This topic interests me exceptionally.

What I think VLC is missing is a better method to playback audio, at slower speed, with much less degradation.

Right now the quality , at slower speed, is very bad.

You've all heard it but I'll share examples if I can. Later

If it's not inconvenient, could someone list hardware products
that do this kind of audio stretching

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”