VLC won't stream off YouTube now

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
shilkman
New Cone
New Cone

VLC won't stream off YouTube now

Postby shilkman » 23 Oct 2009 11:52

I cannot get VLC 1.0.2 to stream videos off YouTube any more. Despite cutting and pasting the URL into VLC I just always get the message "VLC can't recognize the input's format:"...this despite me being able to look at the same videos only recently by this means. I have reloaded VLC several times and reset preferences to no avail. And I know of others who are having similar problems.
My ISP is Tiscali.
Is YouTube blocking VLC?

Regards

kovezett
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC won't stream off YouTube now

Postby kovezett » 23 Oct 2009 14:36

Open the youtube.lua file with a text editor and replace "swfArgs" with "SWF_ARGS" and it will work again.

shilkman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shilkman » 23 Oct 2009 15:31

Open the youtube.lua file with a text editor and replace "swfArgs" with "SWF_ARGS" and it will work again.
Yes it does indeed. Thanks for that. It fooled me at first as there are TWO occurences of swfArgs in that file.

Regards

DikaiosuneZ
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DikaiosuneZ » 24 Oct 2009 02:49

Uhm, I don't know if this a stupid question or not since I'm really new to Ubuntu, but how exactly do you access the youtube.lua file? Do you have to save something, or is there just a way to access it from the site itself?

shilkman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shilkman » 24 Oct 2009 09:52

Uhm, I don't know if this a stupid question or not since I'm really new to Ubuntu, but how exactly do you access the youtube.lua file? Do you have to save something, or is there just a way to access it from the site itself?
I used the XP search on my PC to find it but if you look in the folders of your vlc installation and look in the folder called lua and then in playlists you will also find it.
Regards

DikaiosuneZ
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DikaiosuneZ » 25 Oct 2009 07:46

I used the XP search on my PC to find it but if you look in the folders of your vlc installation and look in the folder called lua and then in playlists you will also find it.
Regards
Thanks shiikman for the help! I was able to find the document and I was able to open it, but for some reason I can't save it. I am able to open and edit it, but everytime that I try to save it the computer says that I don't have the privilege or something to edit the document. I have tried replacing the folder or the document, but it again says i don't have the rights to do so. I've also tried moving the files out of the way/delete them, but it again says I don't have the rights. I don't know if this is due to me using Ubuntu or what, but it's just odd. Thanks again for the help!

shilkman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shilkman » 25 Oct 2009 10:40

Thanks shiikman for the help! I was able to find the document and I was able to open it, but for some reason I can't save it. I am able to open and edit it, but everytime that I try to save it the computer says that I don't have the privilege or something to edit the document. I have tried replacing the folder or the document, but it again says i don't have the rights to do so. I've also tried moving the files out of the way/delete them, but it again says I don't have the rights. I don't know if this is due to me using Ubuntu or what, but it's just odd. Thanks again for the help!
I'm not a Linux user so cannot help but try Googling your problem or perhaps these links might help?
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-3771.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=488240

nell_s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nell_s » 25 Oct 2009 12:08

I have the same problem. I replaced swfArgs with SWF_ARGS on both places but it didn’t work. At first, I thought I made a mistake when I edited the file so I uninstalled the player. But even after I installed it again and edited the youtube.lua file one more time it still refused to stream. I’ll be thankful for any suggestions.
... I don't know if it matters but I have Windows XP.

shilkman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shilkman » 25 Oct 2009 12:51

I have the same problem. I replaced swfArgs with SWF_ARGS on both places but it didn’t work. At first, I thought I made a mistake when I edited the file so I uninstalled the player. But even after I installed it again and edited the youtube.lua file one more time it still refused to stream. I’ll be thankful for any suggestions.
I said in my original post that the change occured in TWO places but looking at my file again it occurs in THREE places. So make sure that you have changed ALL the occurences and ensure that the underscore is used and NOT a hyphen. My text editor kept insisting it was meant to be a hyphen! Hope that helps.

Regards

angelique
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby angelique » 25 Oct 2009 13:15

see viewtopic.php?p=222929&sid=5c71a9ade367 ... 24#p222929

I replace C:\Program Files\vlc-1.0.2-win32\vlc-1.0.2\lua\playlist\youtube.lua

by youtube.lua , I put to download , and working ^^
http://www.1.fm/wm/energyreggae128k.asx | 1.FM - ReggaeTrade | mms://reggae.1.fm/reggae128k?MSWMExt=.asf

kovezett
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby kovezett » 25 Oct 2009 14:28

I said in my original post that the change occured in TWO places but looking at my file again it occurs in THREE places. So make sure that you have changed ALL the occurences and ensure that the underscore is used and NOT a hyphen. My text editor kept insisting it was meant to be a hyphen! Hope that helps.

Regards
The first two swfArgs are in the comments section, so you have to replace only the third one:

Code: Select all

if string.match( line, "SWF_ARGS" ) and string.match( line, "video_id" ) then

nell_s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nell_s » 25 Oct 2009 14:38

^ Thank you, guys! It's working now.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”