Converting avi to mp4 with VLC?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
nbalchemist
New Cone
New Cone

Converting avi to mp4 with VLC?

Postby nbalchemist » 06 Oct 2009 22:14

I have a video that's in .avi format that requires the Intel ITU H.264 (H264) codec, but since I couldn't find that codec, I downloaded VLC (version 1.0, I think) and the video plays fine, which I'm happy about. But I need it to be able to play without/outside of VLC, so I tried to use the player's "convert" function to change the video into an .mp4, which worked, I guess, except for the fact that all tries thus far have ended looking like this most of the way through:
You can't see a thing and it's really frustrating, especially since I don't know how to fix it. Help?

doomonyou
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Converting avi to mp4 with VLC?

Postby doomonyou » 07 Oct 2009 01:03

I have a similar issue. The video/audio is choppy unless I convert to ogg. Any help is appreciated.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Converting avi to mp4 with VLC?

Postby Lotesdelere » 07 Oct 2009 11:19

The MP4 container is somehow broken actually (see ticket #2715) and the result is files with a strange behaviour with video playing faster than the nominal framerate and being out of sync with the audio.

At this point you have two options:

Demux and remux your MP4 file with MP4Box (a part of the GPAC project) to obtain a new working MP4 container.
On Windows this can be easily done with YAMB as a GUI. Latest binary of MP4Box for Windows can be found here.

Or convert your AVI to MP4 by using another tool such as AviDemux.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”