set vlc to repeat...but it keeps resizing the video!!

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
ewokuk
New Cone
New Cone

set vlc to repeat...but it keeps resizing the video!!

Postby ewokuk » 27 Sep 2009 01:43

got sick of MPC and WMP so decided to try vlc today. ive got everything set up how i like it, except for one thing thats driving me mad. basically i have it set to endless loop, a lot of the videos i have require me to resize the window either because its too small, too big, or just needs resizing to fit in with whatever else i currently have on my screen. the problem is, at the start of every new loop VLC decides its going to reset the size of the video from what i have dragged it to, back to the default size!!

so im sitting there trying to watch music videos while doing some work, it finishes and starts again and resets the size of the damn thing and covers up half my work (or for the smaller ones, resets the size back so its too small).

is there no way to stop the thing auto resizing when set to 'repeat' ? if not im going ot have ot go back to MPC which does not resize it on each loop.

thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: set vlc to repeat...but it keeps resizing the video!!

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Sep 2009 18:06

You can change the auto-resizing option in preferences :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ewokuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ewokuk » 27 Sep 2009 23:58

where? I have the "resize interface to video size" but i do NOT want to turn that off, i want the interface to match the video size when the files are opened, since i play many video files of different sizes, i dont want to be resizing them all every time i open it!

i DO NOT want it resizing the damn thing on every loop of a repeat! it should only be doing it when first opening the file which makes perfect logical sense, like every other media player.

isp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby isp » 06 Jun 2010 11:33

Hi all
I just searched the forums and found no solution yet for the problem:
VLC always auto-resizes when in a repeat loop. That's very annoying in some circumstances.
The only solution so far is to select fullscreen display. But if you have a big display you cannot do anything else.

I would like to suggest that a VLC just keeps the windows size which was previously set. *at least* if it is repeating the same file.

*if* you decide to loop a file, and resize it -as usually necessary- I consider it rude behaviour to ignore this setting upon repeat.
After CPUs are much faster and screens are much bigger, I think it would be reasonable to keep the size setting.
Thanks for listening.
I keep looking for the update since VLC is by far my favourite player. Except this one drawback.

T458
New Cone
New Cone

Postby T458 » 04 Dec 2013 16:08

I know this is a very old post but I wanted to share an observation. VLC for Windows 2.0.8 does not resize when the video repeats but after upgrading to 2.1.1 the resize issue shows up. I downgraded back to 2.0.8.

Thoskk
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: latest (2.1.2 atm)
Operating System: Win (7+XP-SP3)

Postby Thoskk » 23 Dec 2013 01:52

Can contribute that latest version still keeps resizing the window to video size when having a playlist. It's _annoying_. :evil:
What about a "don't resize window" option?

However, this seems to be windows-version dependent.
On my Win7 it keeps resizing, on my XP I think it does not. Both latest versions of VLC.
But will check that after holidays and report back.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Dec 2013 20:39

There is always a "don't resize option" in preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Thoskk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thoskk » 29 Dec 2013 02:02

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

if there is a "don't resize" option, I can't find it. I searched all the settings under "Video" in the preferences, but either I'm blind or there is none.

The auto-resizing reported for VLC in Win7 does apparently not show on WinXP, as mentioned above. Both have same VLC version (2.1.2).
However, I found a setting called "Always fit to window" under Video menu in the XP installation, which I think I did not see in the Win7 installation. But I might be wrong about that.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Dec 2013 10:36

The option is called "DOn't resize interface to video" or something in the first main panel of the preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Thoskk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thoskk » 29 Dec 2013 11:37

Thanks, found it now.

For all that are looking in the video section, as I was:
It's called "Resize interface to video size" and is located in Interface section of preferences (simple mode). Should be left unchecked, accordingly.

The Colonel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby The Colonel » 03 May 2014 18:07

Spent quit a while trying to find the same thing, so
(How to stop automatic resizing really ought to be in the FAQ)[center]
Image[/center]
video resize
automatic video resize
auto video resize
window resize
automatic window resize
auto window resize
prevent video resize
prevent automatic video resize
prevent auto video resize
prevent window resize
prevent automatic window resize
prevent auto window resize

earthbound
New Cone
New Cone

Postby earthbound » 28 Jul 2014 02:41

Even with this setting unticked, it doesn't behave as advertised, even after restarting VLC, even with the newest version. Worse, it's scaling a smaller video *up* to the size of the interface (a totally separate nuisance from resizing the interface to the video size--in other words it is resizing the video to the interface size). Worse still, if in the video menu I untick "Always fit window," after a file plays, VLC presumes to put a tick mark back in "Always fit window," which TICKS ME OFF!! :)

:evil:

Also, I thought I'd found a workaround for this before, but can't figure out what I'd done. Whatever causes this, it's not user error: it's either bad code or settings that are too difficult to control or understand. This is on Windows 7. Running it with administrator privileges doesn't change the problem.

I am so peeved by this that I'm motivated to get the da*n source code, FIX IT, and submit a patch. This is a *very annoying bug.* I'll be looking into how to do that; meanwhile, if anyone happens to know where to point me to do so, I'll be glad.

earthbound
New Cone
New Cone

Postby earthbound » 28 Jul 2014 02:56

Aha! I found the culprit. It's the "Video Auto Scaling" setting under Advanced Preferences->Video. Maybe VLC doesn't know the proper "scale" of video in some settings, and so it just defaults to whatever the window size of VLC is? I'm not sure I like that choice as a default.

IMO this should be unticked by default, it is a pure nuisance in most settings that I could imagine; regardless, when the user unticks this from the Video menu, it should "stick," and it should not reset after a video has played (what?!), and moreover, all settings should "stick" immediately when they are set (not when the video player is restarted).

Also, I wonder if a tooltip or link to this related setting could be indicated to the user alongside the other annoying setting documented here?

Still willing to code these changes . . . maybe. Or maybe just share my user (not code) solution.

earthbound
New Cone
New Cone

Postby earthbound » 23 Aug 2016 18:33

Every time I install VLC anew, I log back in to this forum just so I can find these posts I made that reveal this fix for this irritating *bug*--and it is a bug. It does not behave as advertised, because there are three different settings in the program that affect this, where really there should only be one; OR if you change it in any of the other two places, it should be reflected in the one (instead of them being different and this "video auto scaling" tick mark override the other two).

earthbound
New Cone
New Cone

Postby earthbound » 03 Feb 2017 07:22

Just now I've indulged the luxury / insanity of some testing of how three different options related to this behavior interact. The three options are (sorry, BBCode bullet list fail) :

- Video menu -> "Always fit window". At this writing, in some configurations (read on), if you place a check mark in that menu item, then close and re-open VLC, the check mark doesn't stay. It reverts to unchecked.
- Tools menu -> Preferences -> simple view video section. Has checkbox option: "Resize interface to video size." Tooltip for it: "You have two choices: - The interface will resize to the native video size. - The video will fit to the interface size." [By default, interface resize to the native video size.] This setting is mirrored at: - Tools menu -> Preferences -> select the "Show settings -> all" radio button -> Interface section in tree -> main interface -> Qt. Checkbox option: "Resize interface to native video size."
- Tools menu -> Preferences -> select the "Show settings -> all" radio button -> Select Video section head in option tree. Scroll to the bottom of the options list to the "Window properties" section. Check mark option is "Video auto scaling."

Because the first unchecks itself (in some configurations) when you stop the video or close VLC, if the second is unchecked, and you resized VLC to a smaller window, and you play a video larger than your screen resolution, the video will play at full resolution cropped to a region within that smaller window.

With the first forcibly (annoyingly) unchecked on changes (depending), if the second is checked, in the scenario I just mentioned, the window size will scale up larger than the screen to fit the video played at full size.

The first check *will* stay only if the third is also checked (or maybe in other configurations), and it doesn't seem to matter what scaling factor you enter there. (To put that conversely, if the third is *not* checked, the first *will not stay checked* on video stop or VLC exit.)

If all three are checked, the second overrides the other two, and the first remains checked after VLC exit (but annoyingly useless, because the second overrides it).

But have we covered all configurations? Are these all possible setting combinations, with asterisks meaning "checked?" :

A B C
A* B C
A B* C
A B C*
A* B* C
A* B C*
A B* C*
A* B* C*

Gaaaah! The three settings should be integrated in one and one only option region, with conflicts/overrides clearly given.

The setting *I* want: all three checked, and toggle setting one, depending on whether I want it to shrink huge videos to available screen area or overflow huge videos past the screen area. Usually the former.

zameercv
New Cone
New Cone

resized vlc player windows keeps going back to default size

Postby zameercv » 05 Jul 2017 16:49

please help anybody..
I have untick " resize interace to video size" and resize the vlc player to smaller size as of my interest.
so,after restarting vlc and "mouse double clicking" inside vlc player its resizing to my custom size window from maximum size.
But when i click the option"restore down/maximize" located on "top right corner" it again forget my custom resize vlc player window.

so,in summary...mouse double clicking inside vlc player after unchecking " resize interace to video size" and resizing the vlc player to smaller size as of my interest,retain the custom vlc window size but as soon as i click "restore down/maximize" option it again bring to default size vlc window.

blahblahblahblahblah
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby blahblahblahblahblah » 10 Jul 2017 09:51

Wow, very strange, we've gone three whole years without someone saying "there's no problem, all you have to do is check something like Don't Resize", apparently unaware of all the dysfunction and complications being thoroughly and accurately explained in the other posts!

scott451
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scott451 » 19 Aug 2017 01:45

I have the same problem. I am running the latest version of vlc-2.2.6-win64.exe under Windows 10 with auto updates.

Any video I open causes the interface (not the video) to always be full screen and there is no way to resize. if I press <alt>-Space, I can minimize, but maximize and restore do the same thing that results in a full screen interface that cannot be moved or resized. Changing the settings described in the previous post only changes the video size, which, if smaller, is displayed with a black boarder on a full screen interface.

scott451
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scott451 » 21 Aug 2017 02:26

My problem was resolved by this post: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=55913

which said remove the c:\users\scott451\AppData\Roaming\vlc folder.

earthbound
New Cone
New Cone

Postby earthbound » 19 Sep 2019 12:46

ALTERED RECAP: to never have the UI or video scale up or down:

I want Video menu -> "Always fit window" UNCHECKED
I want Tools menu -> Preferences -> Interface tab -> simple view video section -> "Resize interface to video size" UNCHECKED
I want Tools menu -> Preferences -> select the "Show settings -> all" radio button -> Select Video section head in option tree. Scroll to the bottom of the options list to the "Window properties" section. Check mark option is "Video auto scaling" UNCHECKED.

With these settings, *I think maybe* a video larger than your screen may at first display cropped (the unviewable portion of the video "outside" the application / monitor frame), but if you checkmark the first setting, it will scale the video down, until you press stop.

Maybe there should be a "Scale down video larger than the interface" option.

blahblahblahblahblah
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby blahblahblahblahblah » 06 Jan 2022 12:24

ALTERED RECAP: to never have the UI or video scale up or down:
Did you try v2.0.8? That one does exactly what I want, which I think is the same as what you want and is how VLC was for years before they broke it in 2013, which is simply:

Don't change my size or crop settings when repeating a video. That's all. And no, unchecking "Resize video" Does. Not. Work. and telling people over and over it works doesn't make it work.

The sequence of versions around the time the bug was introduced is as follows:

2.0.8 - works
2.1.0 - haven't tried it yet
2.1.1 - broken
2.1.2 - broken
... various other versions up to and including 3.0.16: I tried a few and they're all broken

runeclove22
New Cone
New Cone

Postby runeclove22 » 08 Aug 2022 14:19

By having the <video auto scaling>, you keep the size of the video intact within the player's interface and by removing the <resize interface to video size>, you prohibit the player to change its size (independently) according to video size. You should be able to loop videos without having to worry about it ever resizing again.

I do believe this works the same with any other versions of VLC that has those same two options available.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”