Problems with convert, HELP NEEDED

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
caribstu
New Cone
New Cone

Problems with convert, HELP NEEDED

Postby caribstu » 12 Sep 2009 21:16

I have 2 video TS files ( one is 758mb the other is 905mb ) which i have on the original disc and also are downloaded onto my PC as both VLC ps files and original VOB files. I want to edit them in Windows Movie Maker but to do this i need to convert them to either MP3 / MP4 / Mpeg or WMV. I'm trying to use the VLC convert but it seems not to be doing anything.

What am i doing wrong ? and how can i convert them into files which i can then be used in movie maker?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Problems with convert, HELP NEEDED

Postby Lotesdelere » 13 Sep 2009 10:05

You best bet is to use AviDemux.

caribstu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby caribstu » 15 Sep 2009 00:24

Since i posted the request for help, i spent all last night trying over and over to convert files, i'm trying to convert to either MPEG or WMV and using a variety of differnt codecs must have done 20 different converts and what im getting is either;

an MPEG which will play in media player successfully but when i load it into movie maker im only getting audio, no picture

or

and WMV file which is causing media player or movie maker to freeze / crash and close down

or

a MPEG / MWV file which is so pixelated you cant see the image

Does any body know whats going wrong? I really need to edit these video to put onto a disc for a promotional display HELP!!!! oh and one more thing, the PC im working on, doing the editing is not online. Though i do have internet access on a different PC ( obviously)...

doomonyou
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doomonyou » 15 Sep 2009 02:00

I've had the best luck converting into an Ogg video and then into Mpeg.

caribstu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby caribstu » 16 Sep 2009 20:00

Ok, thanks to the two people who offered advice. The problem is now solved. I googled " convert 1 gb media files" and tried four sites. Two were more like portals and one was a paid site, the fourth one i found one had a free download.

http://www.formatoz.com/

downloaded the programme which took 5 mins and then converted both VOB files, one was 750 mb the other 950mb, took roughly 6 mins for each conversion to wmv. and reduced them to 250mb and 335 mb respectively. both files opened up successfully in media player and movie maker, thought strangely the smaller of the two files had video froze halfway in movie maker. Converted it a second time and it works fine now.

Sorted!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”