DVD Playback Aspect Ratio

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Oz Bloke
New Cone
New Cone

DVD Playback Aspect Ratio

Postby Oz Bloke » 01 Sep 2009 12:23

Hi Folks

Re: VLC Media Player 1.0.1 on Win XP
I have a 19" widescreen LCD monitor, when playing commercial rental DVD movies they always display as 'letterbox' with black bars top & bottom of picture. The movies label says - Widescreen 16:9 and 2.35:1 Letterbox formats.

When adjusting the player settings under aspect ratio from default to 16:9 the picture always remains in Letterbox format.

Anyone know how to get a full vertical display to fill the screen without the Letterbox effect :?:
Thankyou

Cheers

Deefje
New Cone
New Cone

Re: DVD Playback Aspect Ratio

Postby Deefje » 06 Oct 2009 21:50

*Bump*

I was wondering tbe same really, been looking around but couldn't find a solution or a defintive 'no can't do' so still wondering, so I ended up in this thread. =)

I got my pc hooked onto a 50" TV. When I play with a dvd player I can use the zoom function to crop the image, but on pc modes I can't, so I'm always stuck with the bars. Cropping and aspect ratio don't seem to work when running DVD's. I don't like watching from my dvd player since I'm stuck with the stock audio on my tele.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”