Blue screen of death when video-capturing

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
gijs

Blue screen of death when video-capturing

Postby gijs » 20 Dec 2004 10:15

Hi all,

I already discussed this problem with some people on IRC, but I though I'd just post it here as well since others might benifit (and I don't have much to do anyway).

Edit: In version 0.8.1 and 0.8.2 nightly I have the following problem:
When I start a video-capture (audio-only works fine) I get a BSOD UNLESS I open the device properties as well. I just have to hit 'enter' a few times and then it works. So, why bother, well because I want to be able to strat streaming with the web-interface.

The old 0.7.2 version does work, but specifying a channel is not possible in that version. When I use the latest svn builds ans specify a channel I also get the BSOD. Same happens if I specify video size and chroma settings, but that is to be expected since the default settings seem to work fine.

I have an ASUS Tv/FM card with the philips saa7133 chip and the latest drivers from windows update (I tried others as well, with an old ASUS driver Windows XP just freezes instead of the BSOD)

I tried the same card in a different system, same problem.

I think I've described the problem quite thoroughly, (maybe too, sorry), so I hope someone has an idea.

Thanks for developing this great tool.

Postby Guest » 22 Dec 2004 19:04

I have exactly the same problem on Windows 2000. As soon as I start video capture, I get BSOD. As this is my first attempt at streaming and, so far, no joy whatsoever.... btw, I'm trying to stream from a Winfast VC100 video capture card.

Cheers!

--Mark.

mse_uk

Postby mse_uk » 22 Dec 2004 19:06

I have exactly the same problem on Windows 2000. As soon as I start video capture, I get BSOD. As this is my first attempt at streaming and, so far, no joy whatsoever.... btw, I'm trying to stream from a Winfast VC100 video capture card.
Sorry, somehow managed to post this without being logged in. Oops..

--Mark.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 22 Dec 2004 19:33

It won't help you two, but if you get a choice, you might want to try a Viewcast Osprey framegrabber. I use it on both WinXP and Win2K, no issues. Latest Directx, plus latest drivers from the vendor, have worked quite well.

travisbell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby travisbell » 22 Dec 2004 19:40

I have a somewhat similar problem, and while not exact it is definitely along the same vein as this.

I am currently messing around with VLC's ability to capture a device stream, in my case a Motorola DCT (digital cable box) over Firewire.

Technically it works, but if I try and do much with VLC it will just restart my computer. For example, if VLC doesn't exit, and a second instance is brought up, I close the first instance and try closing the second... boom restarts. Very, very flaky.

Since we're all using the same technology here, and experiencing very similar problems I am assuming it's VLC.

Cheers,
--
Travis Bell

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”