Together for VLC on Palm OS

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Attila
New Cone
New Cone

Together for VLC on Palm OS

Postby Attila » 07 Dec 2004 22:58

I'm trying to put together a team to develop a basic avi player to run on palm os (arm) devices. The lack of media players on palm is really anoying. I saw a few short topics around here of pessimist people trying to persuade others that it would be a too-much-trouble project. I have to say I never took a close look at vlc source file and I actually use it only as a player but if I could start from an older version of the application (without streaming and other stuff not usefull on a palm device) maybe I could try to translate it to .prc. Anyone who is interested in my project can bring his effort. Maybe someone with more expirence than me on the source of vlc can suggest me a release version from where I can start off.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 08 Dec 2004 00:21

you should use 0.8.1. since it is the cleanest and best release up to date. Nearly everything in vlc can be disabled, so vlc could still (even though being a bit heavy by default) be a ultra lightweight player.

porting it to a palm should not be _that_ hard provided some points
* you have a c compiler that works and can produce binaries for the palm device
* the palm device has a 32bit(or more) cpu
* the palm os provide the needed basic functionality vlc need to run (threading is probably the main issue here)

Attila
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Attila » 08 Dec 2004 20:54

ok I've got the source but I'm havng some problem compileing the project...I'm useing a Paml OS Developert Suite to build the C source files(it's a program based on eclipse for C/C++ programming) Can you give me any hint on which files of the vlc-0.8.1.tar.gz archive to use? and folders hierarchy?

thankx

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 08 Dec 2004 22:08

The first files you should try to get compiled are the files in the src/ subfolder. These are the core in the vlc application. More specifically you should try to compile all the files in SOURCES_libvlc_common section in Makefile.am.

You may need to manually construct a config.h from config.h.in to reprecent your setup, since you will most likely not use the configure script.

Attila
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Attila » 08 Dec 2004 22:46

Thanks for the hint...I'm likely to be spending a lot of time on this project but I hope it will be worth it! :lol:

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”