How VLC recognize CD and CDs with DTS?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
sybaselu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How VLC recognize CD and CDs with DTS?

Postby sybaselu » 16 Sep 2004 11:37

At first, How VLC recognize CD and CDs with DTS? VLC can play CD and CDs with DTS. on the contrasty, other player can not play CDs and CDs with DTS in the same time. can you point out that the soucecode?
Secondly, How does VlC not only play generl CD but also play CDs with DTS?

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 16 Sep 2004 11:41

A DTS bitstream contains specific markers so we just try to look for these.
As for the DTS decoding capability, it is based on libdts.

sybaselu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sybaselu » 16 Sep 2004 11:52

A DTS bitstream contain a specific markers? puzzle??? so how do you find the specific marker? where is the soucecode which look for the specific dts bitstream ? I also know dts bitstream decoder by libdts, how do you call the libs by function?
the key is where is the soucecode that look for the specific marker?

sybaselu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sybaselu » 21 Sep 2004 12:37

now that CDs with DTS contains specific marker bitstream, then what differents between DVD with DTS and CDs with DTS? what is the specfic marker on earth? can you tell me where is it in the sourcecode ?

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 21 Sep 2004 12:42

the dts demux is located in modules/demux/dts.c. it will be tried first when playing a cd, and if it fails vlc will try the raw wav demux afterwards. For a dvd with dts the story is completly different. There the bitstreams are contained in an mpeg container format that tell quite clearly what different codecs and streams are available

sybaselu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sybaselu » 23 Sep 2004 04:21

CDs with DTS contains a specificl marker . the marker as specificl streambit ?, for example as Arbic Digtial (128). why VLC team do not rende hackerguide (or devel documents )for us from around the world. it well know that get others write programs is more diffcult than by myself, in particular , there have not documnet in hand.
for instance , Xine (a free Mediaplayer) provide a complete offcial doument hackguide .

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 23 Sep 2004 08:50

just some pointers to get you started:
Also have a look at the HACKING file in your sources.

All this said, I hope you respect that we keep on coding to create a good app, and don't spend too much time writing documentation that is bound to get outdated very soon anyway.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”