Generating Compliant TS using VLC/VLS

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Manikandan

Generating Compliant TS using VLC/VLS

Postby Manikandan » 23 Dec 2003 10:26

Dear experts,
I am working to convert VOB files(from DVD) to TS. I have converted VOB files to TS using both VLS and VLC but there is no audio, if the converted TS is played in Xine player(but VLC plays audio!).
Read in the web pages that VLC/VLS generates non-compliant TS.
Is there any work around to get compliant TS?

Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Manikandan

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 23 Dec 2003 13:02

Where did you read that ???

I don't know much about VLS but I know for sure that VLC does produce MPEG TS streams compliant with the ISO/IEC 13818-1 spec. VLC/VLS are even widely used to stream to settop boxes like the amino ones or the dbox, etc...

Now what you might have read is that VLC uses a proprietary way to embed in MPEG TS a few codecs for which there are no standardized way to do so (eg. DTS audio, WMA, WMV, DIV3, MJPEG, etc...).

Manikandan

Postby Manikandan » 23 Dec 2003 16:40

Please have a look at the following URL
http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc/200306/msg00193.html
I am also facing the same problem.
My input is from encrypted DVD and am converting it to TS using VLC ver 6.2.
Everything is working fine, TS gets generated and played well in VLC. But when i play this TS in Xine player, there is no audio output, video is working fine.

Can u please give the comman line syntax to convert DVD to TS with MPEG audio(not AC3 audio)?

Thanks for your time and response.

With Regards,
Manikandan,

Manikandan

Postby Manikandan » 30 Dec 2003 09:39

Dear Experts,
Actually AC3 stream in TS is sent as private stream i.e stream_id=0xBD and stream_type=(>=0x80).
The TS generated by VLC ver 6.2 contains wrong values for these entries. But the VLC ver 7.0-test2 generates it correctly and now i am getting valid TS.
Also i am able to play the TS in xine.

With Regards,
Manikandan,

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”