A somewhat newbie question regarding VLC and codecs...

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
zektor
New Cone
New Cone

A somewhat newbie question regarding VLC and codecs...

Postby zektor » 22 Dec 2003 03:27

I used VLC in BeOS originally and loved it of course since it brought DVD playback to Be. I am now in WinXP and decided to try VLC once again with this OS. I must say the latest test version is excellent! I do have a question however. Is this player using any codecs within windows that I may have installed? It is playing all of my Divx, Xvid, and DVD movies just fine, but I want to know if it is the player itself that is decoding, or if it is using some codecs installed within my OS. I did install a divx codec pack (K-lite) awhile back, but uninstalled it just to see if VLC would still play the movies. It does obviously, which leads me to believe that VLC has it's own decoder within the downloadable package. I just want to know because when I reload my system and I want to play my DVD and Divx movies, I will just use VLC instead of installing all of these codecs if that is the case. Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but I cannot find a real answer to this anywhere.

zektor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zektor » 22 Dec 2003 08:46

20 reads, not a reply. I suppose I will know for sure when I reinstall windows and try videolan right afterward...

Anil
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Anil » 22 Dec 2003 11:41

VLC uses its own decoders. They are indeed provided with the downloadable package.
Anil Daoud

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 22 Dec 2003 15:57

There is a small exception to this :)
VLC for win32 can use the dlls installed by quicktime to read QDM2 audio (used in some quicktime movie trailers for instance).
But for this to work you also need to copy an additional dll (http://www.videolan.org/pub/testing/win ... Client.dll) to the VLC directory, so not many people actually have a QDM2 audio "enabled" VLC ;)

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 22 Dec 2003 16:10

This feature still needs to be documented somewhere..
Don't use PMs for support questions.

DufuZ
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DufuZ » 22 Dec 2003 17:11

Will QDM2 audio anytime be included in VLC win32 port ?
As in so people don't have to download this additional dll ? :)
DufuZ =)

zektor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zektor » 22 Dec 2003 17:12

Thanks for the replies! This is great that codecs do not need to be installed for the player to be able to play these files. And thanks for the tip as well!

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 22 Dec 2003 21:34

The dll in question is a QuickTime component. I believe we can redistribute (i.e. put in on our site) but not repackage or include into VLC
That's a licensing issue which we choose to follow (unlike several other programs )
Don't use PMs for support questions.

johan_jsl
New Cone
New Cone

quicktime and audio

Postby johan_jsl » 26 Dec 2003 12:40

I followed what was written in order to play back quicktime movies with audio (put the dll under the plugin dir) but I still can't get audio.
Suggestions anyone ?
Thanks

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 26 Dec 2003 13:20

It is also said that you have to install quicktime (otherwise the necessary codecs won't be installed).

Postby Guest » 26 Dec 2003 13:56

I was thinking just that.
Quicktime is installed, so is mediaplayer(9) OS is win2000 latest service packs installed. Quicktime is 6.4.

johan_jsl
New Cone
New Cone

Quicktime and audio

Postby johan_jsl » 26 Dec 2003 18:51

Ok : I played around with different things.
First I insatlled the new beta version vlc-0.7.0-test2-win32.exe but I don like what is is doing to my quicktime movies (all blocky an wrong colours, smearing ...) I changed back tot the veriso 0.6.2 and copied the qtime dll in both the plugin and the progam dir and you know what ?
I have sound. OK no I am happy.
Thanks for the input

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 26 Dec 2003 19:21

The smearing problem in 0.7.0-test2 is a know problem in ffmpeg and was fixed recently so 0.7.0 final will be working fine in that aspect.

The Dude (Not Logged In)

Postby The Dude (Not Logged In) » 07 May 2005 06:01

Sorry for bringing up an OLD post,but could someone please tell me where to get the additional DLL's (codecs) to enable QDM2 audio on VLC?? I have the qtmlclient.dll in my plugins folder.....

I dont wanna DL quicktime to get the other DLL's cause of all the crap it leaves behind,i'd rather have someone please tell me where to get these codecs (dll's) -- We have Quicktime on our XP upstairs (Latest verison i think) -- If i take all of those DLL'S and transfer them to my 98se here,will it work??? (It should right??) Image

Thanx all.........

The Dude (Not Logged In)

Postby The Dude (Not Logged In) » 07 May 2005 06:01

Sorry for bringing up an OLD post,but could someone please tell me where to get the additional DLL's (codecs) to enable QDM2 audio on VLC?? I have the qtmlclient.dll in my plugins folder.....

I dont wanna DL quicktime to get the other DLL's cause of all the crap it leaves behind,i'd rather have someone please tell me where to get these codecs (dll's) -- We have Quicktime on our XP upstairs (Latest verison i think) -- If i take all of those DLL'S and transfer them to my 98se here,will it work??? (It should right??) Image

Thanx all.........

Hmmmmmm

Postby Hmmmmmm » 07 May 2005 10:00

I tried getting QT alternative and i put all the files into my VLC folder with 'qtmlclient.dll' in my plugin folder and still no sound!!!!!!!!!

Someone has gotta have something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”