Chapters in ogm files

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Anon

Chapters in ogm files

Postby Anon » 21 Dec 2003 03:46

I was watching a movie i encoded to ogm as a test, and i could not change chapters in vlc. if i view the file in windows media player i can change chapters. The navigation menu is empty. I am able to see the subtitles and 2nd audio encoded into the file.

MikeBell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MikeBell » 21 Dec 2003 04:35

Along the same lines... does chapter support also exist for MKV files? Also, how about an icon for MKV files?

Thanks!

Mike

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 21 Dec 2003 14:29

i'm not sure if chapters are supported in OGM.
I am sure though that they are not supported yet in mkv.

OGM chapters isn't really a standard i doubt we will support it if it's not supported now. MKV chapters will be supported in the future.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 21 Dec 2003 15:40

Chapters support in ogm is something very very hacky :(

I wanted to implement support for it in our Ogg demuxer but realized that it isn't easy to do cleanly at all.
Firstly because the chapters info is stored in one of the elementary streams itself which means we will have to add some more logic to the Ogg demuxer to know how to peek into elementary streams (which is a very bad design).
Secondly because the chapters position is time based and not size offset based and Ogg files aren't designed at all for time based seeking (there is no index in the file).

I might still try to implement this later on but due to the complexity of this, it doesn't have a very high priority on my todo list.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”