Opening files that are *currently* being downloaded..

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Hortus
New Cone
New Cone

Opening files that are *currently* being downloaded..

Postby Hortus » 06 Aug 2007 23:54

I heard from a friend VLC lets you watch videos as you are downloading them, i.e. I could be at 57% of a file and watch it up to that point. Is this possible? And if so, how do I do it?

tsr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Opening files that are *currently* being downloaded..

Postby tsr » 07 Aug 2007 04:36

Hi Hortus,

yes, that is often possible. How ? Simply open the file using VLC.
If that doesn't work out of the box, then it is very likely that it wont work in any other way. At the moment two reasons for it not to work come into my mind. The first one is that it might be a file format which is not streamable, i.e. the format does not support this type of action (but these days thats rare). The second is that you might be using a non-linear download, such as a torrent. When most people think of a download, they assume that a file is being created and then gradually growing towards its final size. This applies to "normal" downloads. But for example torrents are not being downloaded from the beginning towards the end. It is quite possible that a torrent file (or a similar p2p protocol) begins being downloaded at the end. In this case there is of course no way for you to see the beginning of the partial file, because the beginning has not yet been downloaded.

rblewes
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Opening files that are *currently* being downloaded..

Postby rblewes » 07 Aug 2007 13:37

However, it is a way to view for quality (preview) a downloading torrent file; so that you have the option of discontinuing the download if not satisfied with the picture quality.
Intel E8400, Abit IP35-Pro, Antec P182, XP Pro, 4GB Ram
video: ATI 3870, 1680 x 1050 res display
audio: SPDIF to Z5500 (5.1) for gaming/movies
EMU-0404USB > amplifier > bookshelf speakers for music

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”