audio problem again in G5

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
jog

audio problem again in G5

Postby jog » 12 Dec 2003 19:17

hello,

i just download the VLC, and facing the audio problem. before i post this topic, i already tried the trick posted by The DJ
>>VLC Prefs

check advanced options

modules->audio output->coreaudio

Set "Audio device" to the number of the "builtin (analog)" device as it shows when you play a movie in the menuAudio->Audio Devices.<<

Yet, i still getting the freaky sound when the video is totally fine.

jog

error message

Postby jog » 12 Dec 2003 19:28

i've got the error message like this:
coreaudio: failed to set buffer size: [nope]

and the audio device shown:
0:Built in Audio(Digital A/52)
1:Built in Audio(Stereo PCM)

i only have analog speaker but not an optical output

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2003 09:40

same problem here. G5 connected to a home theatre ... can't get Dolby Digital output.

ldunn

g5 sound

Postby ldunn » 18 Dec 2003 15:08

Hi, I was having the same problem with G5 sound. I tried changing preferences:modules:audio output:coreaudio from -1 to 1. Now it works.

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2003 13:22

Woot, that worked swell (the last post). Changing from -1 to 1 seems to have done the trick.

OfiExtreme
New Cone
New Cone

Postby OfiExtreme » 20 Dec 2003 00:56

If I do the change I get sound out of the speakers, but it's most noise. It is possible to relate a small part of the noise to the playing file. However, it's not possible to understand voices or listen to the music. I would guess it's 90% noise and 10% real audio...

antanicus

Postby antanicus » 20 Dec 2003 22:46

Exactly the Same happens with my Dual G5.

Tried all the variations of the "changing number" trick, but nothing really happens: the Dolby Decoder doesn't receive any A52 signal, and VLC gives a "coreaudio: failed to set buffer size: [nope]"

Guess it's a G5 compatibility problem!

Well guys, VLC is such a GREAT DVD player that when you will resolve this problem I will be happy to trash that shameful application called Apple DVD Player (what are they thinking at apple?)

Postby Guest » 06 Jan 2004 21:14

I have the same problem on my g5 (2x2) with VLC 0.7.0

Can someone help me?

Mats

It seems that DivX installer have something to do with it.

Postby Mats » 06 Jan 2004 22:07

I have a G5 and VLC worked fine until I installed DivX. After that I get a message, something like...

coreaudio; initdevice failed.

I have tried to do the -1 to 1, but it keep on failing. Does anyone have a clue what to do?

Postby Guest » 07 Jan 2004 12:33

Pleeeease, we need VCl to work with SONICA and 5.1!!! In my case, i bought a G4 only to watch movies over my projector! It used to work so fine!!! Apple DVD Player is so bad(picturequality)!

yan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yan » 31 Jan 2004 22:12

I have dual 2ghz G5 with 10.3.2 with VLC 0.7 and "coreaudio: failed to set buffer size: [nope]" error message

I have a analogue line out to an amp.

Here's how I managed to fix it.

1) advanced options->modules->audio output->coreaudio - set to audio output value to 1.
2) Quit VLC (important).
3) Open Apple system prefs > sound > output section.
4) Physically unplug stereo line out cable from back of G5.
5) Plug stereo line out back in to G5. Note 'Line out' appears in device list as it is automatically detected by g5.
6) Click to select Line out with mouse.
7) Quit sys prefs and launch VLC, sound should be working now.

It seems as if the line out is not being detected properly at mac boot time. Digital out is then the only choice. You may have to check the line out is selected everytime you reboot or logout. I hope this bug is fixed in 10.3.3.

=pa=
New Cone
New Cone

Postby =pa= » 15 Feb 2004 08:38

Works like a charm. Thanks a million!

jf
New Cone
New Cone

audio fails on G5

Postby jf » 17 May 2004 10:52

i have a dual 1.8GHz G5, system 10.3.3, vlc7.1a
i've followed the correspondence on and solutions for external speaker probelm -i have no external speakers but am having the same problem with the G5 internal speakers

i've tried various configurations of selecting outputs on the sound preference window and /or restarting vlc - just no joy
same .avi file works fine on vlc in new g4 1.33 powerbook with same sytem.. (ok ok xmas came early....i feel guilty acknowledging i have such goodies...)

very wierd - i dont have a workaround yet so any help would be appreciated
john

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 17 May 2004 14:57

Could you try with http://138.195.130.90/~videolan/macosx/ ... 170311.dmg

It has a fix that might improve this situation. Please report back with your experiences.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

jf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jf » 19 May 2004 00:14

Could you try with http://138.195.130.90/~videolan/macosx/ ... 170311.dmg

It has a fix that might improve this situation. Please report back with your experiences.
:(
no luck
here is the error message i get when opening the file on the G5( but not on the G4):

demuxsub: cannot open `/Users/jf/Movies/42dvds/spirit113svcd13.mpg.sub' subtitle file
coreaudio: failed to set buffer size: [nope]

thesystem>sound preference file gets set to the optical digital out port - even though i had set it manually for internal speakers; i'll try a restart and see if anyhting changes -but i doubt it will make much difference??

cheers
john

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 19 May 2004 22:55

VLC audio output is quite broken on G5's.

Postby Guest » 22 May 2004 07:34

I find the only dependable way is to edit the vlcrc file directly.

The vlcrc file is located ~/Library/Preferences/VLC. On line 268 in the vlcrc file, if you change coreaudio-dev=1, this should enable your analog speakers to work. Make sure VLC is closed before you do this.

Be sure you also set the Sound control panel correctly.

After this, VLC dependably works.

jf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jf » 22 May 2004 22:11

my vlcrc file already read "coreaudio-dev=1" when I opened it up (i had changed it in VLC several days ago );after re-enetering the etx, saving the file, opening VLC i'd tried a simple movie that i can see and hear fine in Quicktime...but no audio in VLC
SOund preferences are fine -set to internal speakers

so i appreciate the idea but it hasn't worked for me

cheers
john

I find the only dependable way is to edit the vlcrc file directly.

The vlcrc file is located ~/Library/Preferences/VLC. On line 268 in the vlcrc file, if you change coreaudio-dev=1, this should enable your analog speakers to work. Make sure VLC is closed before you do this.

Be sure you also set the Sound control panel correctly.

After this, VLC dependably works.
:( :(

Faerievert

Postby Faerievert » 23 May 2004 02:09

I'm having the same problem on a G5 single 1.8g. I really really want to find the solution. Oddly, I had one file work, and then after that, the no sound or noise sound.

Postby Guest » 23 May 2004 06:46

my vlcrc file already read "coreaudio-dev=1" when I opened it up (i had changed it in VLC several days ago );after re-enetering the etx, saving the file, opening VLC i'd tried a simple movie that i can see and hear fine in Quicktime...but no audio in VLC

cheers
john
I posted the guest post about the vlcrc. I have a Dual 2ghz. The sound control panel is set to "Headphones" before I launch VLC, as too is the vlcrc file.

I also find that only things that do MPEG2 decoding cause this problem. For example, a Xvid file would work while trying to view a DVD would bring the error. I don't know if any of this helps.

jf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jf » 23 May 2004 08:25

i have a 1.8GHZ dual processor G5
do i have the seeting correct re line 268 then: ie it should be
coreaudio-dev=1

i can't remeber what it shouldn't be i thoink there was a minus sign somewhere

whats strange for me is the variety of files that won't run
maybe therer is some sort of corrupted preference file i can delete and have rebuilt?? then reinstall VLC
any suggestoions?

john

cheers
john
I posted the guest post about the vlcrc. I have a Dual 2ghz. The sound control panel is set to "Headphones" before I launch VLC, as too is the vlcrc file.

I also find that only things that do MPEG2 decoding cause this problem. For example, a Xvid file would work while trying to view a DVD would bring the error. I don't know if any of this helps.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 24 May 2004 00:41

That would be because the MPEG 2/DVD has more than 2 audio channels.

Hellimod

Well

Postby Hellimod » 05 Jun 2004 03:44

this situation is due to using 5:1 audio in an ogm file or vob file. Videolan sees the optical sound output and tries to use it.

The Videolan developers need to put in detection for this in the g5. I suspect it is difficult to detect if that is being used by the g5 system or not. I personally believe they only need to detect for the g5 and use analog. And only use digital audio if the person takes the time to select it. Most audiofiles already know they have to configure things.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 06 Jun 2004 03:45

We NEED to do jack.

Personnally i don't have any of this equipment and since apple isn't kind enough to provide any solid documentation on this particular subject either, I don't see myself doing this any time soon.

Patches are welcomed, YOU HAVE COMPLETE SOURCE CODE, as Ross Finlayson always says.

Hang the DJ

Would an amendment to the ReadMe be too much to ask?

Postby Hang the DJ » 10 Jun 2004 19:33

>We NEED to do jack.

Nice attitude. Look, I'll take your word that none of the available documentation at Apple concerning Core Audio and/or the G5 specifically addresses this incompatibility that plagues the G5 and VLC.

Yes, the G5 has this bug. And VLC isn't the only third-party app that reliably kills the G5's Core Audio. And yet, some do not. What do the others know that the VLC folks don't? Apparently it's a mystery. Well, at least you've made it clear it isn't your problem. Yay for you.

It sounds as if you have no clue how to fix it on your own, and that's just ducky, and the invitation to play with the source code is all well and good, but a given what's known here a one-sentance line in the ReadMe would go a long way to helping us steer clear of VLC.

The necessity of running permissions and/or rebooting to restore sound to the Mac is surely a bigger pain, and for more people, than it would be for one person to edit the ReadMe, to say nothing of the web site.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”