Still Stumped by Subtitles

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
burninchicken
New Cone
New Cone

Still Stumped by Subtitles

Postby burninchicken » 13 Dec 2006 04:08

hmmm...well I've spent that past hour going through forum topics, and I still can't seem to get these things to work. I had a bunch of Vob files. I burned them as a DVD and the subtitles work fine on a DVD player, but not in VLC oh yea I'm trying to get English subs from an anime If i run the dvd in VLC I can chose Chinese or English subs but neither show?

As I have read subtitle probs are quite frequent any help is appreciated

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 13 Dec 2006 09:33

What language is your operating system?

What version of VLC?

burninchicken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby burninchicken » 13 Dec 2006 14:43

oh yea sorry 0.8.6
English

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 13 Dec 2006 18:08

This is the default and I have not experienced an issue here. I suppose there is a possibility of a broken font on your system.

For Chinese subs you will need a Unicode font and the appropriate Subtitles text encoding setting.

burninchicken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby burninchicken » 13 Dec 2006 19:24

The broken font theory is the next possibility I didn't even think of that one. The subs wont even play on any other player as well, but now the question of what font the subs are in ? Any one have an idea of how to find this out?

Still Burnin

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 13 Dec 2006 20:42

DVDs don't use font's it are images. It should work, unless you scaled the video or something.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

burninchicken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby burninchicken » 13 Dec 2006 23:39

LOL... Sounds like I'm turning a lot of dead ends, I have been trying to read through some other topics...maybe I can get some ideas. Like I said in a dvd player it works fine, but in any media player i can't see the subs I can select them but can't see them, but I'll keep looking if any one comes across anything I'm monitering this post so please reply.

Thanks for the help guys

Still Burnin

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Dec 2006 07:24

OK, we will try changing the scenario. Does the Subtitle option appear in the Menu of the DVD and what happens when you select it from the Menu?

Right click on the video while playing the DVD, does the Subtitle option appear?

Assuming it does, what happens when you select the English language?

There are occasions where the sub is actually Closed Captioning only and this is what the menu option allows and yet the VOB reports English twice in its selection menu which is in the header of the files and not actually there, Disney has done this many times.

If you are having other sub with issues then my prior post would apply and I do encourage checking this.

burninchicken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby burninchicken » 15 Dec 2006 02:15

Hmmm...Sorry for the late reply

I can choose in the menu screen English and Chinese subs. When I choose English the music restarts and the curser is then moved to " Menu" accepting that I have just chose English subs. When I play the movie there are no subs, if I go to Video>Subtitles I have three choices Disable, English, and Chinese. There would be a check next to English in this case.

If I select something from the title screen it is checked under the subs tab, I have also tried changing mid movie what subs I want via "Video" tab, as well as choosing then restarting the movie with no success. I have tried some other movies and the subs work fine on them even if I change them mid movie.

I am familiar with some other extensions and somewhat familiar with how containers work. In one of the other posts The DJ stated that dvds use images is it possible that there could be a subtitle contained in the Vobs that I can extract....or am I really getting out there now? lol

Just got done working so the burnin is done for the day.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 15 Dec 2006 08:47

I mentioned Disney movies having Closed Captioning subs because these don't want to show up via the Video -> Sub selection or right clicking on the video while playing even though the options are there. But choosing the option in the DVD menu it works.

BTW The subtitles option does NOT show up unless Subs are present, this is not to say that the sub is really there only that the header of the file says it's there. Which in the case of Disney movies it really isn't there as I've riped the files and checked it. :( It is difficult to get the Closed Captioning out of the rip. But the claimed other English Sub is really not there nor does the DVD menu give this choice. Now the last question remains is why VLC is not recognising the Closed Captioning from its menu??? If you would confirm that this is a Disney movie and that the DVD menu offers Closed Captioning and further that this works from that menu and not from VLC's menu I will write the trouble ticket.

The DJ is correct as all DVDs use Graphics overlays for subs. This was my error when I first read this post. :oops: Of coarse it would still be helpful to know that subs are working for you using other formats. But you did seem to indicate the other DVDs are working.

burninchicken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby burninchicken » 16 Dec 2006 02:37

Good evening once again

First I would like to apologize for not stating earlier what type of movie this is, but it is not a Disney movie. It is a Japanese animation ripped from a dvd. Second...the subs don't work from any menu, VLC or the dvd menu. I can select them from either but neither works. I have tried other formats of different movies i.e dvd, mkv, avi etc. On these the subs worked fine It seems to be something with this one in particular. I have tried playing this movie in Sindows media player, Winamp, and Divx the subs don't seem to work in any of those either.

I typically don't use those since I have gotten VLC. I can watch it on my dvd player, but this has become an educational experience for me so I'll keep at it until I run out of music or cigars which ever comes first ;)

Burnin' twice as hard

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 16 Dec 2006 11:51

VLC uses its own libraries to decode Media files. WMP or Real Player uses Direct Show for DVDs. Considering you have had no luck with any of theres suggests the DVD is a dud for subs.

RockMan123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RockMan123 » 27 Dec 2006 19:04

Burninchicken, I am having the exact same problem.

I ordered several dvd boxsets of some vintage anime (Nippon Animation/World Masterpiece Theater series) from JSDVD Mall.

All are Region 3 dvds too. And I'm so so so grateful that the VLC player can play R3!!!

3 out of the 4 series were succesful in showing the English subtitles. I didn't have any troubles with them at all.

However, one series (Dog Of Flanders) won't show any subtitles-even though it says I can select them under the: Video>Subtitles Track menu. It lists: Track 1 - Chinese and Track 2 -English.

While the movie is playing, I tried selecting the subtitle tracks from the drop down menu, and it shows a check next to the English sub but I do not see anything. And I wait a good long while for it to pop up. However I was able to change the audio tracks during playback (too bad I don't understand Japanese or Chinese).

I also tried selecting the subtitles from the DVD Menu, and no luck. The English sub is checked under the dropdown menu, but nothing appears :(

I figured it must be because I had an old version of VLC. So I downloaded the latest one and tried everything again. No luck.

*I'm thinking of buying a region-free dvd player. Hopefully the player can play the show with English subtitles. The boxsets are also OFFICIAL/LEGITIMATE releases from PIM Group (Power International Media) and the subtitles worked fine except for the one I stated above. They even have it in printed on the box that there are English subtitles :(

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one with this weird problem. I really hope I can view the show with Eng Subs through a region-free dvd player. I hope this isn't one of those "dud" dvds... that would make me very miserable... what can we do though... Sh*t happens :roll:

besides that little problem, I still think that the VLC player is the coolest program ever!!!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Dec 2006 20:26

The weird issue could very easily be that the desired sub isn't there even though the header of the file says it is. This issue has nothing to do with regions.

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 28 Dec 2006 02:03

I've had an issue with Chinese DVDs not showing subtitles at all as well. I was forced to rip mpgs from the DVD titles and use SubRip to create .SRT files with the subtitles.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”