Uninstall does NOT uninstall

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
matt330ci

Uninstall does NOT uninstall

Postby matt330ci » 14 Jun 2006 08:59

Hi, I have problems with my XP Media Center Edition after installing VLC, so I "uninstalled" it through the add/remove programs menu.

However, when I looked through my program files folder, the folder and everything in it was still there. VLC.exe was even still there and the player opened up just fine and it played videos just fine.

the only thing that seems to have gone away is that when i right click on a video file, the option to play with VLC is gone.

what kind of an uninstall is this? and my problem with MCE still exists obviously as VLC is still installed.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Jun 2006 09:11

VLC is a stand alone media player that uses its own libraries to decode media files. It does not use Direct Show nor does it install any DDLs or other helper files on your system. The additions to your registry are purely to support the file extensions so that you can double or right click within a menu and have the file call the player. So there is nothing special about the install. VLC will run on a system normally without the install version, the .zip or 7z file can be downloaded from VLC's website (IE no Installer).

Should you experience a problem with uninstall (Purely a system problem as VLC uses system resources to accomplish this task) the VLC Directories may be deleted. These directories exist at the following locations: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN, C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC and C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\dvdcss, Erase dvdcss. Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

If you don't want to reinstall VLC the extensions changed in your registry should revert back to there former owners if for some reason this does not occur the registry may be edited with regedit and VLC.EXE may be searched and all instances removed. This would be a wise move even if you plan to reinstall VLC as it does not remember or show your former preferences for options during the Install process.
You can also use the Windows system or another Media player to take back the extensions.

There have been a few others that have reported uninstall problems and it is under investigation. Hopefully it will be resolved by the next release.

matt330ci

Postby matt330ci » 14 Jun 2006 09:34

thank you for the speedy response. i ended up re-installing and uninstalled again but this time instead of going through add/remove programs, i double clicked on the uninstall.exe (may not have been its exact name). this time, everything was uninstalled and deleted except for one mozilla folder which i deleted manually. i'll also follow your steps to see if there are other hidden files left over. thanks.

DyLoU
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.4
Operating System: Linux

Postby DyLoU » 14 Jun 2006 17:00

This bug is fixed in nightlies ;)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”