VLC stops playback too soon.

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Sir Gawain

VLC stops playback too soon.

Postby Sir Gawain » 11 May 2006 01:20

Hello :-)

For smooth playback I've had to increase the caching value on several of the input modules to 3 seconds. Unfortunately this makes a couple of problems aparent.

The main issue is that VLC appears to stop playback as soon as it reads the end of a file even if there is still data in the cache to playback, so with a 3 second cache the last 3 seconds of the file won't be played. This efects DVDs as well as regular files, probably other access modules too.

The other less serious issue is with DVD menus. If you click on a menu item then it continues to play the contents of the cache before folowing the menu link. This means that with the 3 second cache, dvd menus take 3 seconds to respond to input.

So in one case it drops the contents of the file when it shouldn't and the other it plays back the contents of the cache when it should drop it... ho hum :-)

I'm using VLC 0.8.5 on OS-X 10.4.6.

If you need more information or clarification, let me know and I'll provide what I can.

Many thanks!

Gavin :-)

Sir Gawain

Postby Sir Gawain » 12 May 2006 13:02

Actually, the same goes for pause...

The cache is played after pressing pause so there is a three second delay in response to this action too.

Gavin.

Sir Gawain

Postby Sir Gawain » 16 May 2006 01:53

O.K. slightly dissapointed that this hasn't recieved a reply from a developer...

It's a valid bug, causes useability issues, is easy to reproduce and should be streightforward to fix unless there are architectural issues that need addressing.

I had a search of the bug tracking system and didn't see this problem addressed anywhere...

Be good if this was raised on the bug tracking system even if it doesn't get an immediate fix as it does cause problems so it really needs to be addressed at some point.

Many thanks,

Gavin.

Sir Gawain
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sir Gawain » 16 May 2006 20:59

Just to prove the point that this is a general bug and not platform specific, I just recreated it on Kubuntu Breezy and VLC 0.8.4.

Given the nature of the problem I would have been amazed if it was platform specific, but I had the box fired up so I thought I may as well make 100% sure.

Gavin.

yorn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yorn » 29 Nov 2006 16:28

Maybe an old topic, but i'm experiencing the same problem on my PowerPC Mac, and i'd really like a fix :roll:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Nov 2006 18:18

VLC is a packet based player and requires a cache to function properly. Increasing the cache (buffer) can cause unacceptable delays in response time. Decreasing the cache can cause things not to function properly within time. Generally, stability or smoothness is a function of the audio card or drivers for the audio card. As all digital video is follow audio for sync. If the file being played seems to be skipping frames you should check your CPU load to be sure the resolution of the file is not saturating the CPU. This can be quite common for HD files where the machine is just to slow to play the file.

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 30 Nov 2006 18:58

well if it's the same trouble than me in streaming ....

VLC "EATS" for 1sec to 5sec of audio and video when you use a playlist of video in a different format .....

yorn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yorn » 12 Dec 2006 21:10

It appears to be fixed in the latest version.
When I hit spacebar, VLC pauses immedeatly instead of playing until the buffer is empty, and then pause

Good work, whoever did it :wink:

tazztone
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC stops playback too soon.

Postby tazztone » 05 Feb 2011 11:04

*stand back*
*CLEAR!*
*OK.. we've got a heartbeat! thread is alive*

v1.17 playing short files (1 sec) still won't get played (e.g. when playing really short length music sample files). longer ones stop too early.
i'm on win7 x64

Should i just disable or minimize the cache size?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 07 Feb 2011 17:31

It's working a lot better than in 2006. But fully rooting out the issue is proving very difficult, especially with practically zero funding for development.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Finomosec
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Finomosec » 06 Apr 2013 19:42

Any news on this yet?

I am using "VLC media player 2.0.5 Twoflower" (this seems to be the newest version at this point) on Windows 8 64bit and i find it very annoying that at the end of every DVD Chapter there is a second or more missing. Same thing as described above ...

I love VLC though! So i would appreciate to see this fixed!

Greetings Fino;

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”