Installing DivX and Xvid additionally

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Dekubitus
New Cone
New Cone

Installing DivX and Xvid additionally

Postby Dekubitus » 09 May 2006 06:06

Hi there,

I am using VLC for a very long time now. Additionally, I installed DivX and Xvid. Is it necessary to install the DivX and Xvid codec if VLC is already installed? If not, which DivX/Xvid version does VLC use?

Postby Guest » 09 May 2006 17:46

No, and it uses ffmpeg.

Dekubitus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dekubitus » 10 May 2006 09:49

it uses ffmpeg.
If there is, for example, a new DivX version it could be possible that VLC doesn't play videos encoded with that specific DivX version properly because that new DivX version isn't bundled with the ffmpeg codec pack yet?

I am just wondering because sometimes VLC doesn't play videos properly. (no sound track, no picture but only sound, not possible to fast-forward, video doesn't play at all) I thought maybe this could be because VLC doesn't contain the newest DivX/Xvid version.

Postby Guest » 10 May 2006 22:59

DivX 6 files play fine, and there isn't a newer divx version.

Being unable to fast-forward is usually due to a parital file (incomplete download) and no video at all probably means the file is not divx.

jacoby
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jacoby » 12 May 2006 07:41

Various DivX version have a lot more to do with encoding than with decoding.

There should be minimal effect on playback/decoding from one encoder to the next, since its all mpg4.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”