cdrom device side effect

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
harisson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

cdrom device side effect

Postby harisson » 04 Apr 2006 14:57

Hi vlc devs,

I've got some 700Mo avi files (with subtitle in a separate .srt file) burned on cdrom and i've found with vlc version (linux version) < 0.8.5-* that i can play them like dvd with the dvdsimple:// command by direct access the device (eg /dev/scd0) or with an alias to this device (eg /dev/cdrom0).

Now with vlc version > 0.8.5-* i can play these cdrom only with the alias, direct access to the cdrom device is recognized as CDDA (on linux and on windows) which seems to be the "right" behaviour of the cd's/dvd's interface.

I found this side effect interesting (maybe strange and probably not so useful ;-) ) and i want to know if it would be possible/interesting to have a command like dvdsimple:// for movies burned on cdrom (cdromsimple:// or cdsimple:// on linux/win/mac) ?

harisson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby harisson » 06 Apr 2006 22:26

By the way, before I forget, the cdda:// commmand works in local vlc 0.8.5-* but doesn't with the sout module (no sound on the TV Freeplayer interface :-( )

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”