VLC Playlist Sorting Busted

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
SabreRunner
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Playlist Sorting Busted

Postby SabreRunner » 05 May 2022 18:39

I have my video files in neatly organised folders. I've been using VLC for years, just telling it to play the parent directory and everything would work as ordered.
Now, I accidently sorted my playlist and I can't get it back to that original sorting. Even trying to sort by Filename or URI doesn't get it right.

Code: Select all

Parent + YouTube + Specific Channel + Other Specific Channel + Random Files + Other Specific Directories
It used to just play "Parent" in directory and file order as I set in my folder structure and now it loads "Random Files" first then the YouTube channels and then the other directories.

How do I fix that, please?

tguillem
Developer
Developer
VLC version: ALL
Operating System: Linux/WIndows/Mac OS

Re: VLC Playlist Sorting Busted

Postby tguillem » 06 May 2022 07:41

Is the "Random" button ticked ? The one at the botton of the UI ?

If not, you can try to reset all VLC preferences, Run VLC, Press Ctrl-P, click "Reset Preferences"

SabreRunner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SabreRunner » 06 May 2022 08:31

No, it's not. It's not random, it just shuffles my directories wierdly. I would rather not have to set all my preferences again. Are you sure this is a solution?

tguillem
Developer
Developer
VLC version: ALL
Operating System: Linux/WIndows/Mac OS

Postby tguillem » 06 May 2022 08:37

You can run VLC in command line : "vlc --ignore-config"

This will ignore all configuration, but just for this session. If this fixes your issues, then we are sure something in your configuration is causing that.

You can then reset all configurations or check "playlist/tree/directory" options in the advanced configuration menu to untick some options.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”