"Save Playlist As" defaults to an old file name

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Infinity
New Cone
New Cone

"Save Playlist As" defaults to an old file name

Postby Infinity » 02 Jan 2019 07:50

I have a playlist of video programs in which I am constantly adding and removing files. It has a file name of "Videos.xspf". Whenever I change the playlist, I save it with Control+Y, "Save Playlist As". However, every time I save it, the Save As name reverts back to a file name of an old file with a different name. I have to re-select "Videos.xspf" every time. (In fact, this old filename comes up whenever I try to save any playlist.) If I forget and just hit Save, the file is saved with this wrong file name, and that old file is overwritten. My expectations are that VLC would save the file with the name it was opened or last saved as, but this does not happen.

I have tried various fixes: Clearing the list of recently opened files in VLC; Clearing my "Recent Items" list in Windows; Editing the Registry and searching for this old filename (unsuccessfully); and using CCCleaner to clear old MRU names and caches. The old file name keeps coming up as the default Save As in VLC.

Any help understanding and dealing with this issue woule be appreciated, thank you.

corykent
New Cone
New Cone

Re: "Save Playlist As" defaults to an old file name

Postby corykent » 05 Oct 2019 22:07

I see that no one has replied to this post thus far, but I have to say I am having the same problem. As soon as I click to save the playlist, it comes up with an old file name, and this continues to happen even after I have re-saved the playlist to a new name in a new folder. Without closing the playlist or program, if I repeat and click save playlist again, it brings up the old file name.

Not only that, this filename is off some particular file from a previous folder, and no longer exists on the hard drive. And not only that, it's a private file title, not something I want anyone else to see. So I would really like to get this thing cleared up. I can't find a default setting for this path anywhere, so I feel I am in the same position as the op. Perhaps with a bit more urgency, because I'd really be unhappy if someone else saw this name.

Thanks in advance.

sgtlaggy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sgtlaggy » 25 Jan 2020 03:59

It seems for some reason, VLC saved one file's name as the default path for the file dialog. I can't reproduce this by deleting the file or anything.
Anyway, to fix this, navigate to "%AppData%\vlc" and open the file "vlc-qt-interface.ini" in notepad or something. Remove the line that starts with "filedialog-path=".
This should revert it to the default value of your user documents directory.

I would really like to see a fix for this, especially seeing as it's been an issue for at least a year now, and I just reinstalled Windows/VLC in early December.

Commie762
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Commie762 » 11 Jun 2021 00:44

Thanks for the fix. 3.0.14 and this is still happening.

davidmf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davidmf » 10 Feb 2023 14:09

It seems for some reason, VLC saved one file's name as the default path for the file dialog. I can't reproduce this by deleting the file or anything.
Anyway, to fix this, navigate to "%AppData%\vlc" and open the file "vlc-qt-interface.ini" in notepad or something. Remove the line that starts with "filedialog-path=".
This should revert it to the default value of your user documents directory.

I would really like to see a fix for this, especially seeing as it's been an issue for at least a year now, and I just reinstalled Windows/VLC in early December.
I had the same problem in VLC 3.0.18. I uninstalled and reinstalled but was not useful. Your guide helped me a lot. Thank you very much for this very useful guide.

The ini file is located in C:\Users\PC1\AppData\Roaming\vlc . (PC1 is my PC name. this name is different in anyone's computer)
Of course, I don't remove the line that you mentioned. I changed the path after "filedialog-path=" to my Desktop folder following the same format. Although this was not worked for me, but the path is changed to "@Variant" and my problem was almost solved. now the ini file in that part ([GENERAL] section line 3 and 4) has this commands:

filedialog-path=@Variant(\0\0\0\x11\xff\xff\xff\xff)
last-playlist-ext=xspf

This means that the default location for saving a playlist is its location of .xspf.

Thanks Again

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”