Make VLC speak filename/meta data at the beginning of a new track in a playlist?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
l_g
New Cone
New Cone

Make VLC speak filename/meta data at the beginning of a new track in a playlist?

Postby l_g » 28 Feb 2018 17:29

I would like VLC to say the filename, metadata or at least the track to be played's position in the playlist before the track is played. Is this possible?

There are two use cases:

1. Listening to unknown music. Would be great if VLC could tell the track name and artist before (and possibly also after) the track so you what you are listening to without having to look at your computer.

2. I use a homegrown solution (VLC and Google Docs) to transcribe long playlists with sound files. However, when I later on read the transcription I have no idea which file it came from. If VLC could mention the filename or so before playing it, hopefully it would be interpreted by Google Docs and written "in the middle" of the transcription, making it easier to find the original file.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: Make VLC speak filename/meta data at the beginning of a new track in a playlist?

Postby mederi » 02 Mar 2018 14:07

VLC 3 comes with TTS support:
* Add a text-to-speech renderer for subtitles on OS X/iOS
* Add a text-to-speech renderer for subtitles on Windows
You could use this new feature to read subtitles or just an OSD title in a video.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”