automatic play of video file

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
indiadream
New Cone
New Cone

automatic play of video file

Postby indiadream » 16 Oct 2017 22:02

Hi,
I have lots of MP4 video files which play fine on my VLC. I just click on a file and it opens and begins playing. I recently got some video files with no extension names. They just say file. When I click on one I get a notification asking what app I want to use for opening it. Then I have to choose VLC and it opens all right. Is there anyway I can make VLC the default for all my video files so that they will all open and begin playing when i click on one of them rather than sometimes having to go through the process of choosing the VLC app. I have Windows 10 although i don't think that has any connection to this. It isn't a real problem. i would just like it to be easier to open these "file" files. Thanks.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: automatic play of video file

Postby EodiV » 20 Nov 2017 01:40

No, this is not possible. The extention is meant to tell the OS which program to open the file with by default. If there is no extenton, the OS can't assign VLC to open it by default. You can only rename the files and give them an extention, but than you best use some tool to figure out which extention they are supposed to have. I cant help with that.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”