No audio rtsp -> sout but works when just playing stream

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
simonb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Linux

No audio rtsp -> sout but works when just playing stream

Postby simonb » 05 Apr 2016 11:49

I am trying to capture the output of a Sony 4K SNC-VM772R security camera that streams H264/AAC over RTSP.

If I just play the RTSP stream with VLC I get clear picture and sound. However if I try to save to a file I only get picture. I have found that I can demonstrate the problem with any sout target including display. So

Code: Select all

vlc "rtsp://192.168.0.27/media/video1"
...works, but....

vlc "rtsp://192.168.0.27/media/video1" --sout="#display"
...doesn't. No sound.

I would expect both commands to have the same result, and this is certainly the case when I try a test RTMP stream.

The codec information when working is shown as

Stream 0 Type: Video Codec H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (h264) Resolution: 3840x2178 Display resolution: 3840x2160 Frame rate: 25 Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV Stream 1 Type: Audio Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) Channels: Stereo Sample rate: 48000 Hz
The Statistics look normal with Audio and Video decoded blocks/buffers/frames increasing.

However when I use --sout="#display" then codec information is shown as

Stream 0 Type: Video Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (h264) Stream 1 Type: Audio Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Also, in this (broken) mode the statistics only show Demuxed data size increasing and the content bitrate. Everything else stays at zero. Even though the video decoded/displayed is zero the picture is definitely moving.

I have captured log files with

--verbose=2 --file-logging --logfile=vlc.log
in each case. Here are the logs on Pastebin...

Working VLC command and Non-working VLC command with sout="#display".

Thanks,

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”