RTSP fails with Realmedia Agent

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
fly135
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

RTSP fails with Realmedia Agent

Postby fly135 » 26 Aug 2015 20:00

I have run into an unusual problem. We have some streams delivered with a Wowza server. The server RTSP connection is on port 80 instead of the usual port 554. All of the computers using VLC to access the streams work fine. Except for one that immediately errors out. The only clue is a Wireshark trace that shows the user agent is Realmedia on the RTSP OPTIONS request.

User-Agent: RealMedia Player Version 6.0.9.1235

The URL delivered in the OPTIONS request has some information removed. The URL is... rtsp://<server address>:80/live/video.stream

The shortened URL is.... rtsp://<server address>:80

This appears to be causing the server to reject the request.

This same computer works fine when using the default 554 port. So it appears that this one computer is selecting Realmedia instead of Live555 to access RTSP only when using port 80. I've searched the web and looked at all the configuration options and can't find anything to solve this problem. We downgraded from the latest VLC to 2.10 and the problem still exist. Other computers using the latest VLC don't exhibit the problem.

JohnA

fly135
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: RTSP fails with Realmedia Agent

Postby fly135 » 26 Aug 2015 23:12

OK this is weird. Did more testing. Disconnected from the wired network and tethered to an iPhone. Now the computer can get the stream and a Wireshark capture shows the OPTIONS request using user-agent Live555. Other computers on the same wired network have no problem. Tried a wireless network that was not the iPhone and it worked too.

Will report back if I have any more info.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”