Remember window position/size after closing from a stream

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
isamu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Remember window position/size after closing from a stream

Postby isamu » 24 Sep 2014 08:46

Hi everyone. Quick question....

is there a way for VLC player to remember its window size and position when it closes from a live video stream? I often use it to watch live streams from twitchTV and youtube, but when the streamer ends the stream and VLC closes, it doesn't remember the size and position it had. Is there a way to fix this?

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Remember window position/size after closing from a strea

Postby kodela » 30 Sep 2014 10:34

isamu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isamu » 01 Oct 2014 05:41

Doesn't work when VLC gets closed from a stream.

Anyway bump-0-rango!!!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 02 Oct 2014 08:41

That's saving and restoring the playback position within the input's timeline, not the window position within the screen.

As far as I understand, restoring the position is the job of the window manager and/or the UI tookit, not VLC proper anyway.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 02 Oct 2014 10:05

That's saving and restoring the playback position within the input's timeline, not the window position within the screen.
Yes, Rémi is right. Since I have misunderstood something.

kodela

isamu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isamu » 05 Oct 2014 01:24

Isamu, did you try formatting your hard drive?
Yup, tried it, no luck :(

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 11 Oct 2014 18:01

Go to:
Tools >> Preferences

And (assuming you are in the "Simple" settings mode), in the "Interface" tab untick "Resize interface to video size".

Then click "Save" and close and re-open VLC then it should stay the same size regardless of resolution/whether a video is playing etc.

Also cleaned up this topic by removing uneccessary bumps.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

isamu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isamu » 12 Oct 2014 03:10

Go to:
Tools >> Preferences

And (assuming you are in the "Simple" settings mode), in the "Interface" tab untick "Resize interface to video size".

Then click "Save" and close and re-open VLC then it should stay the same size regardless of resolution/whether a video is playing etc.

Also cleaned up this topic by removing uneccessary bumps.

Arite.
Again....it indeed works when you manually close the player yourself, but if the player gets closed by another application(ie Livestreamer), upon re-opening VLC it will revert back to the window position you last had when you *MANUALLY* closed it yourself. I want it to stay at the same position it was at when it was closed by livestreamer. That's the issue.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 19 Oct 2014 00:54

Presumably that's to do with Livestreamer killing the VLC process, so it doesn't close "gracefully" where it would write the current position etc. to a config file.

I had a look at the Livestreamer options, seems you can ask it not to the kill the player when a stream ends:
http://livestreamer.tanuki.se/en/latest ... r-no-close

So add:

Code: Select all

--player-no-close
To your Livestreamer command line.

Then you could tell VLC to play and exit by giving VLC the "--play-and-exit" command.

Wrapping that all together in a single command:

livestreamer.exe http://www.twitch.tv/[CHANNEL] source --player-no-close --player "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe --play-and-exit"
Where [CHANNEL] is the Twitch.tv channel you're watching. Note that command is for Windows with 32-bit VLC installed in the default location.

You could also set the player to be VLC with --play-and-exit in the Livestreamer config file too.

I haven't checked it with Livestreamer, however closing VLC with it's "--play-and-exit" does save the location/video size.

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

isamu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isamu » 20 Oct 2014 14:01

Presumably that's to do with Livestreamer killing the VLC process, so it doesn't close "gracefully" where it would write the current position etc. to a config file.

I had a look at the Livestreamer options, seems you can ask it not to the kill the player when a stream ends:
http://livestreamer.tanuki.se/en/latest ... r-no-close

So add:

--player-no-close
To your Livestreamer command line.

Then you could tell VLC to play and exit by giving VLC the "--play-and-exit" command.

Wrapping that all together in a single command:

livestreamer.exe http://www.twitch.tv/[CHANNEL] source --player-no-close --player "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe --play-and-exit"
Where [CHANNEL] is the Twitch.tv channel you're watching. Note that command is for Windows with 32-bit VLC installed in the default location.

You could also set the player to be VLC with --play-and-exit in the Livestreamer config file too.

I haven't checked it with Livestreamer, however closing VLC with it's "--play-and-exit" does save the location/video size.

Cheers, Arite.
Thank you for the tips and explanation Arite. Much appreciated.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”