Parametric equalizer settings?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
HotMusicFan
New Cone
New Cone

Parametric equalizer settings?

Postby HotMusicFan » 01 Jun 2014 23:32

Hello! :)

I want to use parametric EQ for sound enhancing, especially deep bass boosting (50-60 Hz) and high frequencies boosting (above 12 kHz); I can't understand what is the usage of the first fields (Low freq, Low freq. gain, High freq and High freq gain) - are they low- and highpass filters or something else?
And if you can, please recommend me settings for the results that I want to achieve.

Thanks for the advices! :)

Skullriot
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Parametric equalizer settings?

Postby Skullriot » 02 Jun 2014 05:09

It depends on what you want to equalize.

If you want deep bass boost, you will need to boost the 60, 170 and 310 knobs up a bit, but you must remember if you don't have speakers that can produce those sounds, you wont hear a big change.

A low pass filter is a filter that allows low frequencies through, and alternately high pass allows high frequencies through.

I would be able to better recommend settings if you mentioned what you wanted to EQ as there is no universal EQ setting for all media. For example, human voice is clearer when the 3-4kHz range is boosted. If you are having trouble hearing voices over something, thats a good range to boost.

HotMusicFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HotMusicFan » 02 Jun 2014 12:43

Yes, I know that, thanks again but I meant as what exactly the above mentioned fields are acting? :)

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 02 Jun 2014 14:49

Give up the Parametric Equalizer and use instead the equalizer with 10 bands.

Open about Tools -> Effects and Filters -> Audio Effects the tab Graphic Equalizer.
Place here the sound you like one.
Note the 10 dB values ​​your setting.
Switch on Preferences -> All -> Audio to Filters.
Activate there the filter Equalizer with 10 bands.
Switch to Preferences -> All -> Audio -> Filters to Equalizer.
Carrying there for Bands gain a 10 listed values​​, like "5.6 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 4.5 5.8".

Skullriot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Skullriot » 03 Jun 2014 14:14

Yes, I know that, thanks again but I meant as what exactly the above mentioned fields are acting? :)
Wait, you want to know what specific frequency ranges are being changed based on the filter type? I'm not understanding what you want, specifically.

Low Freq generally refers to anything below 600 Hz, Low Freq Gain refers to the added amplitude of the Low Freq range, High Freq refers to anything above 6 kHz generally, and the gain is the change in amplitude. Low pass is just something that puts a steep amplitude cut on anything above 1kHz or so, depending on what you are using, and high pass is the inverse, generally the filter starts to cut at around 6kHz and descends from there. Essentially, a low pass allows the low sounds to pass through and stops the highs, and vice versa for the high pass.

Is that what you wanted to know?

HotMusicFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HotMusicFan » 04 Jun 2014 22:40

Wait, you want to know what specific frequency ranges are being changed based on the filter type? I'm not understanding what you want, specifically.

Low Freq generally refers to anything below 600 Hz, Low Freq Gain refers to the added amplitude of the Low Freq range, High Freq refers to anything above 6 kHz generally, and the gain is the change in amplitude. Low pass is just something that puts a steep amplitude cut on anything above 1kHz or so, depending on what you are using, and high pass is the inverse, generally the filter starts to cut at around 6kHz and descends from there. Essentially, a low pass allows the low sounds to pass through and stops the highs, and vice versa for the high pass.

Is that what you wanted to know?
I wanted to know whether these settings are acting as a low- and highpass filters or they are just some kind of gain controls?

JayDee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JayDee » 14 Oct 2022 04:10

i use the parametric EQ so i can boost the volume of my low bass.... i have a surround sound system hooked to my tv and tv hooked to laptop. my system has 1 pretty decent 10" SUBwoofer sealed box. in order for me to hear low bass a little better , i can boost the decibels to all bass under 30hz. it is the very top settings that say: Low Freq (hz) ----- Low Freq Gain (db). i set the low freq (hz) to 30hz. that means anything at 30hz and below will be boosted by the other setting which is low freq gain (db) set to 15.00 DBs. YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL BECAUSE IF YOU DO THIS AND YOU ARE JAMMING SOME MUSIC REALLY LOUD AND THEN ALL THE SUDDEN A 30HZ BASS NOTE HITS , IT COULD BLOW YOUR SPEAKER. DO NOT PLAY MUSIC AT HIGH VOLUME UNLESS YOU TURN OFF THE PARA EQ FIRST , UNTIL YOU UNDERSTYAND WHAT YOUR SPEAKERS CAN HANDLE

Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 17 Jan 2023 14:15

It depends on what you want to equalize.

If you want deep bass boost, you will need to boost the 60, 170 and 310 knobs up a bit, but you must remember if you don't have speakers that can produce those sounds, you wont hear a big change.
For me, really deep bass is below 30Hz, therefore a possibility to boost (different) frequency ranges within 10-40Hz would be very nice (and the possibility to dampen/limit small frequency ranges). If there is a way to achieve this via parametric equalizer parameters, this would be very nice.

yes, my subwoofer can do those frequencies - and I enjoy them , )

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”