Convert to .mp3 without container?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Kodeen
New Cone
New Cone

Convert to .mp3 without container?

Postby Kodeen » 06 Feb 2014 19:55

Hello, I am attempting to extract the audio from a .mp4 video file. When I select my profile, I go for 'audio-mp3', set up the audio tab how I like, and make sure the video and subtitles tabs are unchecked. Where I'm confused is I have to choose something for a container file on the encapsulation tab. The first time I did it I had it on the default MPEG-ts option, and came away with a .ts file. VLC can play that just fine, but if I change the file format to .mp3 it crashes. Trying to save as a .mp3 file directly from the file dialog also doesn't work. None of the other options on the encapsulation tab achieve the desired results.

I feel I'm missing something obvious, but is there no way to save directly to a .mp3 file without a container?

Windows 8.1, VLC 2.1.2.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Convert to .mp3 without container?

Postby Lotesdelere » 07 Feb 2014 09:11

Use RAW encapsulation.

Aethelwulf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aethelwulf » 19 Feb 2014 00:43

Use RAW encapsulation.
Can this modification be made:
Change the default RAW output file name under the profile Audio - MP3 to default to .mp3 instead of .raw?

The reason is that in Windows systems .raw appears to be reserved for system backups. As such the system does not like you messing with the file.
What typically happens is that if you right click on the .raw file explorer.exe will CTD (Crash to Desktop).
This is not catastrophic (my case) and will just reload itself.

In some instances the files with 2.1.3 and earlier were not readable after renaming to .mp3 or any other extension.
Yes I know changing the extension can cause issues, but it should not if the encapsulation was mp3. I have a 50 50 chance on making this conversion.
I ran a version of 2.0.6 installed on 2 other computers and this is not an issue there.

Thank you

glevinsh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby glevinsh » 05 Mar 2014 20:56

Looking for same answer as original question...

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - VLC Win64 Latest branch nightly build fresh install today (but also win32 latest production build installed - is this a problem?)

VERSION PIC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj5tO ... sp=sharing

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”