No more 0-200% range volume control in 2.1.1 ?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Auralviolence
New Cone
New Cone

No more 0-200% range volume control in 2.1.1 ?

Postby Auralviolence » 24 Nov 2013 21:46

One of many reasons why VLC have been my favorite video player is 0-200% volume control range. E.g. if there is some movie rip made by some idiot who don't have an idea about normalization and RMS - this 0-200% range solves the problem without need to go to soundcard mixer settings to increase the volume.
After installing 2.1.1 I'm quite disappointed to find that this range is now shorten to just 0-125%. Why ? :(
Is there any possibility to return it back to 0-200%, please ?

JSLover
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Win7

Re: No more 0-200% range volume control in 2.1.1 ?

Postby JSLover » 27 Nov 2013 20:19

This is one of those shocking things people notice: loss of volume control..."ahh! where's our volume control going???"

Before VLC had a range of 0-400%, then it "dropped" to 0-200%, now it's "dropped" to 0-125%

But there's an explanation: we haven't "lost" any volume control — even tho the "range" is decreasing, the "number of decibels" is actually (supposedly) increasing. VLC is actually giving us "more volume", even tho it appears they are taking it away. I don't have anything to link to (I found a link), but when I noticed the change from 400% to 200%...I was shocked ("oh noes! I need mah volumez louder!"), so I began searching & I found out that the new 200% was louder than the old 400%.

So, the same thing has happened again, I recently read a post where jbk said that the new 125% is equal to the old 200%...so there's effectively no change...except our perceived loss of 75% volume control. Now, I can't prove the decibel increase is true, but that's what the VLC devs are saying. I really wish I had links for this info! (I found a link to the jbk quote).

Also, you can change the "max volume" in Prefs...the slider's default max is 125% (remember: that's the "same" as the old 200%), but you can override it, you can set it all the way to 300% (tho I've noticed glitches/issues with going over 200% — in my testing, in VLC 2.1.1, I was able to set it {in Prefs} to 300% — even if I shouldn't be able to {not sure}).
"why the f*** do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?" — jawed (2013) (about YouTube's new requirement of Google+)

youtube.lua — Play YouTube videos in VLC!
Updated: Thu, Jan 15, 2015 --- 1/15/15, 7:19:19pm EST

forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=111977&p=379147#p379147
Sigh, the above can't be a link: "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url]."...so, I can't even link back to a post on this forum?
How about this: can long-term/trusted users be allowed links in sigs?

Auralviolence
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Auralviolence » 03 Dec 2013 00:21

In the thread you've given there is a post by Opptur where he wrote that max level still can be exceeded by mousewheel - I can't confirm this, this no longer works :)

Anyway, OK, so you probably mean that now the volume changing slider curve is not the same on its whole length, so now it has another faster rising curve range at 100-125% range. Otherwise I can't imagine how it's possible to fit 0-200% to 0-125% when 0-100% range seems to be remained the same. Maybe it's really so...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Dec 2013 23:19

1.25^3 = 1.95
2^3 = 8
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Dec 2013 23:20

In the thread you've given there is a post by Opptur where he wrote that max level still can be exceeded by mousewheel - I can't confirm this, this no longer works :)

Anyway, OK, so you probably mean that now the volume changing slider curve is not the same on its whole length, so now it has another faster rising curve range at 100-125% range. Otherwise I can't imagine how it's possible to fit 0-200% to 0-125% when 0-100% range seems to be remained the same. Maybe it's really so...
You can change the preferences to get up to 200%.

And mousewheel will work.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

purerob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby purerob » 11 Dec 2013 08:08

The volume problem is a big problem.
No 125% doesn't hear like 200% not even 150% of the old one.
I used to put like 200% on my headset and then could have hear it from my bed (a bit distorted), but now it's so low... it's like it barelly makes any audio changes.
The old one i couldn't eve keep my headset on at 150%, in the new one at 200% it's like normal volume...
I edited the preferences to have 200% on the main interface , i don't see any difference in my movies or audio when i put it to 200%. From 125-130% to 200% it's no difference at all.

Please fix it, it was the only function i was using VLC for , and since now it doesn't work... it's pretty useless for me.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Dec 2013 15:00

What is your OS and drivers and audio output? Because seriously, it works fine here.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

purerob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby purerob » 11 Dec 2013 16:15

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
The latest audio drivers from realtek , even checked the site again 30 min ago
I see that i am not the only person who has problems with the volume increase compared to the prev versions.
I reinstaled vlc from a prev version and the audio increase on that one works great.

BigAl_LBL
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BigAl_LBL » 11 Dec 2013 17:40

Also have the same problem
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD High Definition Audio
RealTek High Definition Audio

Windows Vista Home premium 32bit
NVidia High Definition Audio
RealTek High Definition Audio

but I think the issue may lie elsewhere aswell bescause when I first tried to fix it by amending the maximum volume in settings, adjusting the volume iworked. However, since restarting it the volume now does not change properly BUT if I move it up quickly the volume some time surges and then quietens quickly which leads me to wonder if there is some erroneous normalisation being applied. Is that possible?

alastair
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alastair » 25 Dec 2013 01:30

on 2.1.2 to get volume over 125%
Sorry but I cribbed this from somewhere else
Tools -> Preferences (Show settings = All) -> Interface -> Main interfaces -> Qt Then at the very bottom of the right panel set the Maximum Volume option. Save, exit and restart VLC.

Works fab on my headphones. Only use it when I have had a beer too many and think it is a great idea to blow the wax out my ears

bjsnode28
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bjsnode28 » 29 Dec 2013 02:02

You can change the preferences to get up to 200%.

And mousewheel will work.

We all appreciate your replies, but if you post something, why can't you elaborate a bit more? By saying "you can change in preferences" is like finding a needle in a haystack. Would it be too much to ask to actually prove a "real" answer and not be so condescending with your posts?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Dec 2013 10:35

Sorry, but it's been answered in hundred of posts, if you were looking at it and using the search function.
Moreover, it's explained on the 2nd post of this very topic, with very good details.

I'm not condescending, but answering (on my free time, should I mention that) hundreds of support question takes a lot of time. So answers are short. Deal with it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

billynair
New Cone
New Cone

Postby billynair » 04 Jan 2014 08:04

OH! I wondered why the scroll wheel stepping was off. Setting it at a percentage thinking either 100% or 200% max would be off by quite a bit mathematically, now knowing it was off of 125% makes more sense.

As for the volume, I had always had it set to a gain of 2 but with the update I had to set it to 4 to hear it like I used to. Lucky I had to change it, because now I set it to 6 and leave my speakers low so I don't have to change it when I switch from my desk (normal operating volume) to my bed (movie volume)

You might also want to check if you have "Normalize Volume" checked, this will drop the volume a lot!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 04 Jan 2014 10:30

This is actually a bad idea. A gain above 1.0 is, depending on the input file and audio output plugin, likely to distort the sound signal due to saturation. This applies even if the absolute volume level would be much below the hardware limits. It is best to leave the gain to 1.0 and increase the volume through the OS or the amplifier.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

FORCE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FORCE » 12 Mar 2014 17:12

This is actually a bad idea. A gain above 1.0 is, depending on the input file and audio output plugin, likely to distort the sound signal due to saturation. This applies even if the absolute volume level would be much below the hardware limits. It is best to leave the gain to 1.0 and increase the volume through the OS or the amplifier.
I agree, even friends hated previous overboosting feature. It is like using plane fuel on car. Audio with boosting always started to crack on bass and cause other anomalies.
Tox.im - Alternative to Skype finally
ReactOS.org: no more closed Windows, C and C++ developers needed

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”