Force VLC to display to fit full window/ Not fullscreen!

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
oggmeista
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Force VLC to display to fit full window/ Not fullscreen!

Postby oggmeista » 14 Jul 2013 22:13

Hi guys

Firstly just need to point out a few thing's I am not sure whether this question is only relevant to XP, as that is my OS, secondly I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a satisfactory solution whilst browsing

I want VLC to display media in its full window, By this i DON'T mean in full screen but in the reduced screen (splash?), what keeps happening is that depending on the media type and default resolution, the player re-sizes the clip, I just want the player to use the (FULL-window) available, even when a new media source is loaded, in a playlist situation for instance ill reapeat I do NOT mean in full screen mode, ive tried playing around with the preferences, in tools/preferences/all/video, but I have not managed, to resolve this

thx for your help in advance

oggmeista
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Force VLC to display to fit full window/ Not fullscreen!

Postby oggmeista » 15 Jul 2013 22:15

Seriously, nobody knows how to do this??

JSLover
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Win7

Postby JSLover » 16 Jul 2013 05:19

Try this...(note: this was written using VLC 2.0.5, but it should also apply to 2.0.7)
  1. In VLC, click ToolsPreferences
  2. In the bottom left, for "Show Settings", click Simple (it might already be selected).
  3. At the top left, make sure "Interface" is selected (it should be).
  4. On the right side, for "Look & Feel", uncheck...
    • [ ] Resize interface to video size
    ...you may also wanna check (or it might already be checked)...
    • [■] Integrate video in interface
  5. Click Save
  6. Manually re-size the VLC window to the size you want.
  7. Close VLC to commit the pref change & window resize.
  8. Run VLC, play some files & report if that's what you want.
"why the f*** do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?" — jawed (2013) (about YouTube's new requirement of Google+)

youtube.lua — Play YouTube videos in VLC!
Updated: Thu, Jan 15, 2015 --- 1/15/15, 7:19:19pm EST

forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=111977&p=379147#p379147
Sigh, the above can't be a link: "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url]."...so, I can't even link back to a post on this forum?
How about this: can long-term/trusted users be allowed links in sigs?

oggmeista
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby oggmeista » 30 Aug 2013 07:55

Hi

Thx for the reply but those options you sugggested are already selected, the player still changes the size of the "active" view screen, I just want the screen to stay at the full size with no borders according to resolution etc, Yes the palyer stays at the same size BUT the actual "view window" changes when a new media is auto loaded in a playlist even though on some clips I can manually readjust the size to "fill" the view window it will not stay like that....
I hope people can understand what I mean by this, Is there any way of setting the player config/settings to be able to do this....(kind of like a full screen view" but in a user adjusted splash window size that is with no size cropping of the viewing area)

again thx for any help and feedback on this

cheers

JSLover
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Win7

Postby JSLover » 01 Sep 2013 10:19

...I just want the screen to stay at the full size with no borders...
...if you mean "black bars", then this is because VLC is doing you a favor: it's displaying ALL of the video (even if it don't fit your resolution/monitor/non-fullscreen-window-size), without automatically stretching or cropping the video. Black bars might be annoying, but it's generally better than the alternatives. stretching = distorted video, cropping = lost video, black bars = perfect video, but not using all of the monitor (or "available space", in the case of a non-fullscreen video).
...even though on some clips I can manually readjust the size to "fill" the view window it will not stay like that....
...if you post how you are doing this, that would help explain if "black bars" is the problem you are describing. Are you using Crop (c) or Aspect Ratio (a)?
I hope people can understand what I mean by this...
...I thought I already understood the question, but now you've made me think you mean black bars.
Is there any way of setting the player config/settings to be able to do this
...as far as I know: no, you cannot ask VLC to automatically stretch (distort) or crop the video. You can manually do it tho, on a per-video basis (which I think you are already doing)...& with a Lua extension, I would assume it might be possible for a script to do this automatically, but don't quote me on that, as I haven't looked into it.
...that is with no size cropping of the viewing area)
...what?...now you say "no cropping"...so you DO want the video stretched, but not cropped? Cropping at least displays the video "correctly", although missing some stuff around the edges. Stretching, really effs up the video/people. Aspect Ratio (Stretching), should only be used to "fix" a video that's inherently wrong, not to eff up a video that was fine.
"why the f*** do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?" — jawed (2013) (about YouTube's new requirement of Google+)

youtube.lua — Play YouTube videos in VLC!
Updated: Thu, Jan 15, 2015 --- 1/15/15, 7:19:19pm EST

forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=111977&p=379147#p379147
Sigh, the above can't be a link: "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url]."...so, I can't even link back to a post on this forum?
How about this: can long-term/trusted users be allowed links in sigs?

oggmeista
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby oggmeista » 16 Oct 2013 00:19

Damn coming back here, as i still have not figured out an answer, yeah basicaly regardless of the window size I want the video to fit the whole window with no black borders ..or very small, currently with some video clips the actual viewing window is less the half of the total size avalable and changing the aspect ratio has little effect, whist other clips fill the complete window, I just want it so that all clips complete fill or akmost, the viewing window, and I am talking about NON full screen mode..

any advice feedback will help thx in advance

gonzalesjon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gonzalesjon » 17 Jul 2015 22:27

tools>preferences>video>force aspect ratio>4:3>save and reset the movie for the settings to take effect

pirate1122
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pirate1122 » 03 Apr 2017 19:56

Just press the letter A on your keyboard and it will togle between the aspect ration. Once you get to the largest one which is 16:9, double click the screen to go into full screen mode and it will take up the whole screen.

aitte

Postby aitte » 10 Oct 2017 23:54

Control + H (Minimal View)

BionicDance
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BionicDance » 12 Oct 2017 23:10

Look, maybe I can help out here, because it's happening to me too...I think.

Let's start with a picture, so we're not talking past each other:

See how the none of the edges of the picture are touching the edges of the screen, the edges of the player window?
That shouldn't be happening. It should be filling the screen.

This isn't an aspect ratio problem; please keep the aspect ratio. (And I've tried adjusting it; that doesn't work.)
Just make the picture as big as it can possibly get, fill the VLC window as much as possible, without any cropping.

How can this be done? Why isn't it being done?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 13 Oct 2017 14:20

Fitting to window while preserving the aspect ratio is the default setting. So either you changed the settings, or your input video signal includes black bars. In the latter case, you need to use crop (hotkey is C).
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Kaluman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kaluman » 31 Oct 2017 17:03

Download and Install Media player classic.
Play video.
Rightclick-Video frame-Zoom 1
Thank me later ;)

Ps.
Dear Vlc team,
be kind to add this functionality to your player.
We all would very much appreciate that.
Much appreciated,
Regards,
Luka

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 01 Nov 2017 14:00

Let's start with a picture, so we're not talking past each other: [img]
See how the none of the edges of the picture are touching the edges of the screen, the edges of the player window? That shouldn't be happening. It should be filling the screen.
Hotkey o = Toggle autoscaling
Check more hotkeys in VLC preferences: Tools > Preferences > (Show settings=Simple) > Hotkeys cone

BionicDance
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BionicDance » 12 Dec 2017 01:35

Hotkey o = Toggle autoscaling
Nope. The options are small and still too small.
Nothing makes the edges actually touch the edge of the screen.

See?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Dec 2017 22:13

As already noted, this looks like your input signal includes back bar. YOU NEED TO USE CROP.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

BionicDance
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BionicDance » 12 Dec 2017 23:04

Somehow I missed that part.

I can't tell whether it's changing the aspect ratio--the numbers that appear on the screen imply it--but it looks okay and is filling the screen...so...

jordanjcm88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jordanjcm88 » 22 Dec 2017 04:33

I GUESS THIS IS A BIT LATE BUT OH MY GOD ITS

SO

SIMPLE

RIGHT CLICK ON THE VIDEO

THEN CLICK VIDEO

ONCE YOU CLICK ON VIDEO, MOVE YOUR CURSOR TO WHERE IT SAYS

----ALWAYS FIT WINDOW------

WakkoBlues
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WakkoBlues » 25 Feb 2018 03:27

As already noted, this looks like your input signal includes back bar. YOU NEED TO USE CROP.
I GUESS THIS IS A BIT LATE BUT OH MY GOD ITS SO SIMPLE
I'm afraid you have both misunderstood what OP is asking for.

They want the video to completely fill the window no matter what size they make the window, at the cost of cutting off whatever wont fit. In VLC terms this would be an automatic Aspect Ratio crop to whatever the AR of the current window size is.

I believe Kaluman was almost correct in stating:
Download and Install Media player classic.
Play video.
Rightclick-Video frame-Zoom 1
Thank me later ;)

Ps.
Dear Vlc team, be kind to add this functionality to your player. We all would very much appreciate that.
Much appreciated,
Regards,
Luka
MPC-HC does have a solution to OP's problem. It's under "Video Frame->Touch Window From Outside". The default in both VLC and MPC-HC using this terminology is "Touch Window From Inside" when auto-zooming. I have been wishing for this ability in VLC for many years, but it is not currently possible to solve this.

The closest I have found for my screen size is changing zoom to "2:1 Double" and disabling "Always Fit Window".

dzmartin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dzmartin » 22 Apr 2018 01:05

Though it may not help everyone, this works for us. This is using VLC 3.0.1

Our setup for playing full-screen on a secondary display with controls on the first is below:
  • Tools > Interface > Uncheck ‘Show Controls in full screen mode’
    Tools > Interface > Uncheck ‘Resize interface to video size’
    Tools > Interface > Uncheck ‘Integrate video in interface’
    Tools > Video > Check ‘Fullscreen’
    Tools > Preferences > Show Settings All (Radio button at left, bottom) > Expand Video > Select 'Output modules'- > Select ‘DirectX (Direct Draw) video output’
    Tools > Preferences > Show Settings All (Radio button at left, bottom) > Expand Video > Expand ‘Output modules’ > then select ‘DirectDraw’ > In the ‘Name of desired display device’ type ‘\\.\DISPLAY2’

We found we can also do this from command line, but don't use it ourselves.
    C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe C:\Videos\VideoName.mp4 --directx-device="\\.\DISPLAY2" --fullscreen --no-video-title-show --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller
The problem we were having was that it wouldn't fill 1920 x 1080. We found that VLC is looking to the first monitor for the resolution to go full-screen. Both screens have to be the same resolution, we had the laptop "primary" monitor at 1366 x 768. Once both were at the 1366 x 768 resolution fullscreen worked.

PeterPack
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PeterPack » 03 Nov 2018 09:26

I had the same problem. I solved it simply by changing the resolution on my screen. When my laptop was at its default of 1366 x 768, it showed the image in the middle of the screen with large black border all round, as in the screenshots shown in this thread. When I changed the resolution to 1280 x 720, it filled the full width of the screen and kept the correct aspect ratio.

Badmashi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Badmashi » 01 Jan 2021 02:07

I GUESS THIS IS A BIT LATE BUT OH MY GOD ITS

SO

SIMPLE

RIGHT CLICK ON THE VIDEO

THEN CLICK VIDEO

ONCE YOU CLICK ON VIDEO, MOVE YOUR CURSOR TO WHERE IT SAYS

this actually worked. VL got an account out of me to say thanks! 8) :twothumbsup:

deselect it.

Avelinov
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Avelinov » 27 May 2021 21:10

Fitting to window while preserving the aspect ratio is the default setting. So either you changed the settings, or your input video signal includes black bars. In the latter case, you need to use crop (hotkey is C).
Thanks a lot, Rémi! That did the trick :^)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”