Moving to different points of an FLV video 2-3 delay

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
mindstormer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Moving to different points of an FLV video 2-3 delay

Postby mindstormer » 25 Apr 2013 20:21

When I use the Time Toolbar to access different points of (it seems all) FLV videos (not high quality--all downloaded from Youtube, so not very computer-intensive), it will have a 2-3 second delay before it loads that point of the video. I think it has something to do with the codec, but I don't know the process of how to check the codec of a video and download the codec necessary to solve this problem (if it is even this problem).

I have the same problem with a certain 1080p MKV video where it wouldn't even load later parts of the video, but it would be lag-free during playblack from start to finish--so I can never choose points of the video I want to view without watching everything before it.

Thanks a lot.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: Moving to different points of an FLV video 2-3 delay

Postby TypX » 26 Apr 2013 14:13

For the MKV are you using 2.0.6? If yes, your file may lack the index needed for a fast start so VLC will try to read your file until the point. (A faster alternative method is in development).
If you are not using 2.0.6 use it, there was a bug in MKV seek that should be fixed.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”