Synchronizing subtitles to movie

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
booga
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Synchronizing subtitles to movie

Postby booga » 01 Nov 2012 13:39

Hi,
Using TwoFlower (VLC version 2.0.2) on Windows 7. I looked over the Wiki.videolan.org documentation, but it looks like it's the manual for a much older VLC version and thus does not help.

I am watching a film with a subtitle file (I dragged and dropped the SRT file into VLC main window). I've already adjusted the subtitle delay (using keyboard shortcuts G and H) and things are synced for a while. But then several minutes later, the subtitles are delayed (An actor talks and the subtitles come later).

How can I fix this?

Under Tools/Track_Synchronization/Synchonization_tab, I see this: http://i.imgur.com/CL4Yz.png.

1. What does the 2 blue circle-shaped arrows in the upper right corner do?
2. I've tried increasing the FPS from 1.0 to something bigger. But I seem to do something wrong. It's not working.

Please help.

Thank you.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Synchronizing subtitles to movie

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Nov 2012 07:13

Sounds like the video and the subtitles tracks are using different FPS as a timeline (e.g. 23.97 FPS and 25 FPS). You need to find out the FPS of the video and then to adjust the subtitles timings accordingly.

mbman88
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mbman88 » 04 Mar 2013 05:13

I'm having this exact problem. This has not solved it. I cannot change the subtitle speed to 25 or 23.97 FPS.. I cannot find such an option. adjusting the 1.000 FPS "subtitles speed" is simply unusable... as increasing the speed only increases the degree of desynchronization.
After looking through google searches and not finding what I'm looking for on this forum I think I have to conclude that VLC does not have the option to adjust the starting and end points of the subtitles or audio track.
If, for example, a subtitle track is 10 minutes and 40 seconds 10:40 and the audio track is 10:30 then the subtitles track will be "Squeezed" into the size of 10:30... causing subtitles to appear sooner and sooner throughout the video. The only real way to prevent this is the allow the subtitle timeline to remain uncompressed and then to adjust the timing accordingly.. however.. I have not found a way to do that on VLC.

mompou
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mompou » 08 Mar 2013 16:00

I cannot change the subtitle speed to 25 or 23.97 FPS.. I cannot find such an option
I don't think VLC has a functioning feature to adjust subtitle timing between PAL/NTSC framerates - instead, you need to get a subtitle editor that can perform a relative shift on the .srt timecodes. If you're a Mac user, Subs Factory is one program that makes this very easy (using the "Shift" function, enter the correct timings for the first and last subtitle, and the program will calculate the rest)

mbman88
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mbman88 » 08 Mar 2013 22:07

I'm using Linux Mint so I ended up using Gnome Subtitles which did exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”