DVD problems

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Saltypete
New Cone
New Cone

DVD problems

Postby Saltypete » 25 Jun 2012 07:38

I have upgraded to VLC 2.0.1 and the DVD playback has gotten much worse.

When I click on place to seek it no longer moves to exactly where I clicked.

When I seek sometimes when watching a DVD of a tv shows it seeks to the position of the previous episode and plays it instead. (watching an episode I want to skip forward so I click forward in time on the bar and it plays the previous episode from that point)

There are other small things that frustrate as well.

It all used to work just fine, how can you be going backwards like this?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: DVD problems

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 27 Jun 2012 16:33

VLC never sought to exactly where you clicked. There never was exact seeking for DVDs, except to title/chapter.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

gaelsano
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.01
Operating System: Windows/Linux

Postby gaelsano » 28 Jun 2012 02:45

Saltypete, this is due to I and P and B frames. I frames are fully rendered frames. P frames and B frames are instructions that say "take the the ____ frame and just change this part"

Example: A person enters a room with the lights on and moves the dimmer in order to make the room less bright.
I frame = The lit room ...... P frame1 = The lit room from I frame goes dim ....... P frame2 = The room from P frame1 gets dimmer.

Video Player software can't decode P or B frames fresh. It must wait for an I fame and then work from there.

You may notice that Digital TV channels take a while to come in when you switch channels. It has nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with the stream. A stream of IPPPPPPPIPPPPPPPIPPPPPPP compresses better than a pattern of IPPIPPIPPIPP, but you must wait longer to get an I frame.

DVDs follow a certain standard. They are not allowed to do IPPPPPP...PPPPPP...PPPP I. They must follow a certain pattern.

DVDs of television shows are especially tricky for what you mentioned. They act up and get confused at the end of specific titles (episodes). Part of the problem too is that the reported times are not accurate. A episode that says it is 20:39 may start moving to the next chapter at 20:36 even when not seeking, just playing.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jun 2012 18:20

Well, in case of DVD the issue is also the underlying libraries.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Phaota
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Phaota » 15 Jul 2012 07:23

I am also having issues with DVD playback. Version 1.1.11 plays discs fine without any glitches. But from version 2.0 and up, the program just stalls while reading a disc. I can watch the accessing light on my DVD drive in the computer tower flashing forever, but never once does the disc go to the main menu of the DVD. Even after I close VLC, it is still trying to access the disc. This never happened with version 1.1.11 and it always goes directly to a disc's menu within half a minute or less. This issue needs to be resolved before I ever upgrade to the new versions, which I really want to do.

Ullallulloo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ullallulloo » 19 Jul 2012 18:55

I am also having issues with DVD playback. Version 1.1.11 plays discs fine without any glitches. But from version 2.0 and up, the program just stalls while reading a disc. I can watch the accessing light on my DVD drive in the computer tower flashing forever, but never once does the disc go to the main menu of the DVD. Even after I close VLC, it is still trying to access the disc. This never happened with version 1.1.11 and it always goes directly to a disc's menu within half a minute or less. This issue needs to be resolved before I ever upgrade to the new versions, which I really want to do.
This is happening to me as well.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”