VLC media player 0.8.5-test4 beta release (was test3)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

Postby Guest » 05 May 2006 19:34

Hi,
just installed the test4 version and unluckely there are some big problems.
I was able to make vlc show all my videos on my second monitor, but while playing a movie vlc starts a second instans of the movie-showing window causing both, the old and the new one to show nothing but a black screen.
The problem wasnt where in test3.

The Problem doesnt happen randomly but at spezial points in the movies and videos. Sound is not disturbed by that at all. I also tryed different videos with different codecs and they are all the same.

In the end I just wanted to meantion an other bug.
If I try to play a video with h263 or how that stuff is called no video will appear. I have to change the output device to standart, restart vlc and the video will play. after what I can even drag it to the other monitor without a prob.

Please excuse my bad englsih but an first Im not a native english speaker and secondly do I have a terrible headache.
with best regards
p90

FORCE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FORCE » 05 May 2006 22:17

Is that normal (messages01.log) i just play music and these errors will run but everything works fine so this is not problem but problem is playng VLC own transcoded ac3 (test.ac3).
messages01.log
test.ac3
Later if i get hardware player then i test more heavily transcoding.
Last edited by FORCE on 06 May 2006 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Tox.im - Alternative to Skype finally
ReactOS.org: no more closed Windows, C and C++ developers needed

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 06 May 2006 00:57

Does it *require* Mozilla? Because if it does, it should disable itself under browsers it's not designed for (if it's not compatible with Safari, it will simply cause interference).
the plugin does not require mozilla, it's called that way because it supports the mozilla plugin architecture and Safari supports plugins designed for mozilla.
I loaded it onto my test Mac, opened up Safari (Firefox not installed on my freshly imaged test Mac) and it says it's installed. Only problem is that QuickTime tends to register itself for every MIME type that the VLC plug-in supports, even if it can't handle all the codecs used.
This problem is not specific to MacOS X, it is a limitation of the plugin design, when 2 plugins supports the same mime type, the browser has to choose one, typically Safari will always prefer Quicktime over any other plugin (guess why !) where firefox would use either.
Not sure how to get VLC to handle certain media instead of QuickTime. Removing the QT plugins would be one way, but that would mean losing support for all the other things that QT registers but VLC doesn't (eg: audio/aac, video/flc...).
VLC has its own unique mime type: application/x-vlc-plugin, if you configure your web server to returns this mime type for all multimedia files, the Safari will choose VLC over QuickTime.
alternatively, in your HML pages you can use the OBJECT tag (instead of EMBED) as per following example:

Code: Select all

<OBJECT DATA="mymovie.avi" TYPE="application/x-vlc-plugin" TITLE="My Movie" WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=100>
I did disable my QT browser plug-ins and threw a couple of files at it, and wound up with differing results. Depending on the file type, mostly Safari either caused a window to open up in the Finder, showing where the file was (Safari acting as if it had "downloaded" the file rather than handling it internally), or a black browser window with "(no picture)" in it.
the back window with the "(no picture)" means that the plugin was loaded by safari but for some reason, the plugin is enable to retrieve the multimedia data
Which all leads me to believe that it is probably Mozilla-only?? So, yeah, disabling itself under other browsers like Safari would be a good idea.
the plugin was coded for Safari actually, it works with firefox as well (but not as well, more testing is required)

FORCE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FORCE » 06 May 2006 01:14

Discovered massive bug what caused wmv open in almost several windows (i saw even 6 windows open) CRITICAL log here
error01.log
I can provide this wmv if needed.
Tox.im - Alternative to Skype finally
ReactOS.org: no more closed Windows, C and C++ developers needed

Postby Guest » 06 May 2006 19:30

Issue with the last beta (test4) with subtitles : Sometimes during the movie, subtitles won't display for a few seconds, and then will display normally, and then won't display...
I haven't this problem with the latest stable version.

issue with video post processing

Postby Guest » 06 May 2006 22:33

Video playback will freeze up but the audio keeps playing when I enable video post processing (any level). This is on a Mac Powerbook G4 running 10.4.6. If I disable post processing, video (.avi) plays fine. Note that VLC 0.8.4 does not have video problems with I select post processing.

Postby Guest » 08 May 2006 04:19

So regarding the (no picture) problem in Safari - I have this problem; I've even tried reverting back to 0.8.4 and trashing prefs to no avail - is there a way around it, so I can watch QT files, MP3s, WMAs (you name it) in Safari?

ivanbuto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Not working at all

Postby ivanbuto » 08 May 2006 16:23

If I uninstall and install 0.8.4a again everything works. Have you dropped support for win9x?
We haven't dropped it intentionaly but we don't really bother to test anymore. I'll try to see if this can be fixed.
Thanks for fixing the issue for Windows 98 on the 0.8.5 final release! :)

AlanM

ActiveX goes black on resize

Postby AlanM » 15 May 2006 12:57

Hi,
Has anyone experienced the ActiveX control video going black when the control is resized? I have a dual screen system and moving the control from one screen to the other brings back the video stream, however stopping and playing the stream (in code on resize) doesn't work.

Could this be an issue with multi screen systems? Is it possible to change the decoder used?

System:
.NET 2
Nvidia Quadro FX 540 driver 7.2.2.3.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”