VLC media player 0.8.5-test1 beta release

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

Postby Guest » 29 Mar 2006 00:31

You will see that it is about to crash when the full screen picture turns all white, then you see that little coloured ball spinning and then Poof..it's gone.

Only works if you shift between windowed and fullscreen really fast, about 10 -15times..
Could you download a recent nightly build and check whether you can still reproduce this bug. As far as I remember, a fix was committed on this issue a few days ago.
Tried the latest nigthly build the day before yesterday (trunk-20060326-0129.dmg) and was still able to reproduce the problem.

Still gave me a white screen and a crash report.

isidro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Do you know where “ffmpeg encoder” is?

Postby isidro » 29 Mar 2006 13:18

Hello developers!

Do you know where “ffmpeg encoder” is?

The following error message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\Arquivos de programas\VideoLAN\VLC>VLC media player 0.8.5-test1-20060329-0001 Janus
[00000294] ffmpeg encoder error: cannot open encoder
[00000283] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot find encoder
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appears whenever you try to stream from any web cam using “vcodec=mp4v”.
To reproduce it, try the following command line using your own web cam:

vlc dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro" :dshow-adev="Logitech Mic (Notebooks Pro)" :dshow-size="320x240" :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=512,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=localhost:1234}}

I have tried web cams from three different manufacturers: Creative, Logitech and Philips. Previous VLC versions DO NOT have this issue!

Can anyone answer feed me back anything about this issue?

Regards,

Isidro.
Isidro Lopes
CPqD
Brazil.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 29 Mar 2006 18:09

@ Guest: okay, I'll try to reproduce it then :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Golvi

Re: Xvid

Postby Golvi » 30 Mar 2006 23:59

I am using VLC on a 20" iMac Core Duo (ATI Radeon X1600 256MB) running MacOSX 10.4.5. I am posting to let you know that the choppy playback of Xvid files in VLC 0.8.4 has been fixed with the release of VLC 0.8.5 (x86 version for OSX).

Thanks for all the hard work. Then new version looks great!
Hi,I changed my iMac g4 for a g5 20" Intel, and VLC disappears after launching, could you please tell me how did you proceed ?
Thanks for answering
Golvi

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 31 Mar 2006 13:58

@ Golvi: when VLC disappears after launching, your preferences are probably broken. Try to reset them with the script provided on its disk-image.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Gregory

Audio Delay at or beyond -250ms produces skipping

Postby Gregory » 31 Mar 2006 18:21

I'm playing a video:
XVID/Video/624x352/23.976000
mpga/Audio/2/48000Hz/133kbs

Part of video is out of sync. if I then set Audio Delay (via the keyboard hot keys) to -250ms or -300ms while the video is playing, the audio begins to skip in regular intervals ... on/off/on/off/on/off ... skipping roughly twice per second.

at -350ms, the audio stops altogether.

Mac OS X 10.4.5
iMac G4 1GHz 1GB

Zavia

Problem with 0.8.5-test 1

Postby Zavia » 31 Mar 2006 21:42

Hi, i am facing with 0.8.5-test 1. When i play a file in VLC 0.8.5-test 1 .it playes like ACTION REPLAY.i mean slow motion and same problem with voice.Please Help me !!
Thanxs.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: Audio Delay at or beyond -250ms produces skipping

Postby The DJ » 31 Mar 2006 22:29

Part of video is out of sync. if I then set Audio Delay (via the keyboard hot keys) to -250ms or -300ms while the video is playing, the audio begins to skip in regular intervals ... on/off/on/off/on/off ... skipping roughly twice per second.

at -350ms, the audio stops altogether.
This is a known issue. VLC only buffers 300ms of data, so it cannot compensate if the offset is larger then -300ms
You can try to enlarge VLCs file access cache, but it will have other annoying effects.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Athlon2x
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Athlon2x » 01 Apr 2006 15:01

Hi,

is someone could explain to me, what changes have been done in the "dshow module" between the last official release 0.8.4a and the lastest nightly 0.8.5?

My tv card "Hauppauge Wintv" works well with the 084a release but not with the nightly.

Code: Select all

dshow debug: found device: Hauppauge Win/TV Video Capture Driver dshow debug: using device: Hauppauge Win/TV Video Capture Driver dshow error: capture device 'Hauppauge Win/TV Video Capture Driver' does not support required parameters ! dshow error: can't open video
Do you have any idea concerning the "required parameters" ?

Thanks a lot :)

alexparis

bug A52 over S/PDIF

Postby alexparis » 01 Apr 2006 16:01

Hi,

I'm using VLC 0.8.4a on winXP SP2 with a 5.1 trust sound card equipped with a coaxial out.
The sound card is plug to a Home Theater decoder through a coaxial cable.

The pb is :
with WinDVD, DVD playback works well in 5.1
with VLC, a52 over S/PDIF has troubles when I play DVD : the sound stops suddenly for few seconds and starts again.
Is there something wrong in the settings or is it simply a bug which is or will be corrected in 0.8.5 ?

Thx

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2006 06:04

Was unable to find it in known issues:

When playing this file: http://tracker.kaizoku-fansubs.com/torrents/[K-F]_One_Piece_178_[5EEB2F53].mp4.torrent (and other .mp4 from there), it contains audio encoded using 'mp4a' codec (Channels: 2, Sample rate: 48000 Hz, Bits: 16, Bitrate: 1536 kb/s). Video is avc1 (H.264).

And the problem is that the video plays ok, but there's no audio. I'm running 0.8.5-test1 (PPC) on Mac OS 10.4.5.

When I tried to play XViD files (which use mpga codec for audio) — I can hear all the sound.

Kudos for otherwise great release!

Subtitle drag&drop

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2006 17:23

I was wondering if you had added a feature to allow subtitle drag and drop while playing the movie (like in bsplayer, sry for the reference :/).
Cause it's really convenient when you're watching english movies (for foreign users)
When the subtitles are not adapted (and it's often the case :/), you've got to fully reload the video and subtitles (to try other subtitles).
Or even, to simply watch a movie with subtitles, it's quite complicated when you dunno how it works (i've often heard ppl telling me they couldn't find how to add subtitles to their movies in VLC...)

But maybe it's simply impossible, due to other features conflicts or programming constraints :( hope it's not.

Thx anyway and at least i look forward to this new version ^^

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 02 Apr 2006 20:38

We released the 2nd beta version today, so this thread is closed now and you all are encouraged to post further feedback here. Thanks.

@ Guest: although it isn't listed, this is a known issue which is about to be fixed in the final release. This is still broken in test2 though.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”