VLC media player 0.8.5-test2 beta release

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Torben

Thanks & a little bug

Postby Torben » 06 Apr 2006 00:21

Wooooow, I must say that I am absolutely stunned by VLC player!
I have used the player for some time now, but I have only recently discovered how much this wonderful player I capable of!!
Thank you for your great work guys!! :D

A little bug in 0.8.5 Test 2 on Windows XP: I am not able to save my playlists anymore!

Torben, Denmark

prunde

Unable to open file.

Postby prunde » 06 Apr 2006 04:39

0.8.5 Test 2 always gives the message "Unable to open file: ****" on my WinMe machine. Same was true with test 1. Bug or user error?

Thanks

record

Postby record » 06 Apr 2006 12:07

today build (version 0.8.5-test2-20060406-000). Record through Ctrl-R still don`t work. The path in Input/Codecs -> Access filters -> Record is c:\video, but on pressing Ctrl-R console show wrong recodr path:

[00000486] access_filter_record access error: cannot open file 'c_\video/Adjara 6-4-2006 14h00m51s.dat' (No such file or directory)

so : simbol displased by _ ... how can i correct this ?

tr_scorpion

Language and Menu Problem

Postby tr_scorpion » 06 Apr 2006 16:03

When trying to install the program, on first step installer ask
"language selection". I select "English", but program catch that
I am in Turkey and program installed with Turkish menus but with
some selections in menus are blank (no text).. But actually they
are not "blank". if I click first "blank" selection on "File" menu,
it directly opens normal file selection window as "Quick Open File"...
Same problem at 0.8.4a also.

1- I actually want to use the program in "English" language
as I already using for years. Program should let me to do it
like that.
2- The program should not dictate the language I have to use.
(I think)

Thanks and regards
Mehmet

Torsten

Postby Torsten » 06 Apr 2006 16:15

On MacBookPro i cannot look SVCD and MPG. Always Black Screen and a noise.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Unable to open file.

Postby dionoea » 06 Apr 2006 18:57

0.8.5 Test 2 always gives the message "Unable to open file: ****" on my WinMe machine. Same was true with test 1. Bug or user error?
This is due to some changes concerning unicode character encoding. The next beta version will have support for Windows 9x versions again. Sorry
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

death734

Postby death734 » 07 Apr 2006 00:49

i use windows xp, some things i noticed

*skipping ahead with in a video with the "windows media video" codec looks horribly distorted for a few seconds after you do it.
*setting the aspect ratio or crop to 16:9 doesn't work anymore
*not to big of a deal, but usualy when opening a video file (when vlc is not currently open) it's silent for about 1 to 1.5 seconds into it.

and why cant i have to instances of it open anymore? that gets very frustrating when trying to open 2+ things at one

eAi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eAi » 07 Apr 2006 02:22

Ok, heres a few issues:

- Playing real audio files is broken (Windows XP). Plays tiny bits with blank gaps between. Same file works fine in the stable release. Message window displays somthing like:
main warning: computed PTS is out of range (116775), clearing out
main warning: PTS is out of range (117578), dropping buffer
main warning: output PTS is out of range (161738), clearing out
main warning: PTS is out of range (326568), dropping buffer
main warning: PTS is out of range (604876), dropping buffer
main warning: PTS is out of range (746450), dropping buffer
main warning: PTS is out of range (953182), dropping buffer
main warning: PTS is out of range (1162351), dropping buffer
Repeated over and over (though not identical each time).

- When streaming to a file, I've noticed that a } gets appended to the end of the filename, for example 'myfile.mp3' becomes 'myfile.mp3}'.

- Hotkeys preference area takes forever to load on both Windows XP and OSX. I'm sure this is a known issue, but its a bit frustrating!

- When is the Windows version going to get a skin update :)?

- Its unlcear exactly what the "Customize:" combo box on the Open... window is

- On Windows, why do I have to click on the window(s) of videos to make them show anything, when using OpenGL for output? Its not the end of the world, but a bit annoying!

Keep up the good work - I'd love to help out, just other development projects don't really leave me enough time :(

Ed

tonsofpcs
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby tonsofpcs » 07 Apr 2006 02:53

When streaming to a file, I've noticed that a } gets appended to the end of the filename, for example 'myfile.mp3' becomes 'myfile.mp3}'.
Where is this } appended? on the load at stream source? load at stream destination? elsewhere?
Hotkeys preference area takes forever to load on both Windows XP and OSX. I'm sure this is a known issue, but its a bit frustrating!
Hotkeys preferences has one option unless you check advanced.
When is the Windows version going to get a skin update :)?
You can switch to the skins2 interface to use skins.
Its unlcear exactly what the "Customize:" combo box on the Open... window is
that's for putting in custom parameters.
On Windows, why do I have to click on the window(s) of videos to make them show anything, when using OpenGL for output? Its not the end of the world, but a bit annoying!
sounds like a video card issue, but I'll look into this.
Keep up the good work - I'd love to help out, just other development projects don't really leave me enough time :(
Thank you, I'm sure that all of the developers will be glad to hear this :)

eAi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eAi » 07 Apr 2006 03:22

} is appended to the saved file, it doesn't appear to be appended in any dialog box. Could be bad parsing of the command line built by the dialog...
Hotkeys preferences has one option unless you check advanced.
It has many more option here and takes about 30 seconds to show the information (and longer than that on OSX).

I am using skins2, but the skin on windows is not as good as the OSX one - the playlist is close to useless for example. Its not the most important thing, just as its the first thing people see - first impressions and all that.

Perhaps 'Customize:' should be renamed to somthing more obvious and hidden with a nice 'Advanced' checkbox like the preference window.

tonsofpcs

Postby tonsofpcs » 07 Apr 2006 03:35

} is appended to the saved file, it doesn't appear to be appended in any dialog box. Could be bad parsing of the command line built by the dialog...
ok, so you're streaming to a file, could you post the customize line here so we can check it out?
It has many more option here and takes about 30 seconds to show the information (and longer than that on OSX).
This is probably due to wxwidgets' implementation in windows, I'll look into it.
I am using skins2, but the skin on windows is not as good as the OSX one - the playlist is close to useless for example. Its not the most important thing, just as its the first thing people see - first impressions and all that.
skins2 is a customizable interface, you can make your own skins if you want. I'm not quite sure what you are saying here.
Perhaps 'Customize:' should be renamed to somthing more obvious and hidden with a nice 'Advanced' checkbox like the preference window.
It might be for the next release, we are currently going through string review for the whole application.

eAi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eAi » 07 Apr 2006 03:45

Ok, I've narrowed it down, the } is appended only if the filename has a single quote (') in it, for example:

Code: Select all

:sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=raw,dst="c:\path\test'.mp3"}}
I doubt its to do with wxwidgets implementation in windows, I get it on OSX too, as I said.

I know I can make my own skin for VLC, but thats not really the point - the default skin for the windows version of VLC is nowhere near as nice as the OSX one. fixing it yourself isn't really an option for most people.

tonsofpcs

Postby tonsofpcs » 07 Apr 2006 14:28

Ok, I've narrowed it down, the } is appended only if the filename has a single quote (') in it, for example:

:sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=raw,dst="c:\path\test'.mp3"}}
And the file name that this sample outputs is?

emarkay
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby emarkay » 07 Apr 2006 20:43

What about .flv (stand alone flash videos) as found on sites like youtube.com?

eAi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eAi » 07 Apr 2006 23:24

And the file name that this sample outputs is?
It'd output a file called test'.mp3}

Oh, and I tested on OSX again and it seems the hotkey issue is only on windows - it takes about a second or two on OSX, but about 30 seconds on Windows to show the hotkeys preferences.

Why was the 'fullscreen' button removed from the OSX skin? I personally found it very useful...
Last edited by eAi on 07 Apr 2006 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

OS X fullscreen playback

Postby Guest » 07 Apr 2006 23:26

Sorry if it's too late in the release cycle to comment on an interface issue, but...

In all previous versions of VLC that I've used, there was visual indication that a video file would open in "fullscreen mode." That is to say, you just had to look at the fullscreen button in the Controller window. That button seems to have migrated completely to the playback window with 0.8.5. Every other new button in the playback window is also present in the Controller window, except for the fullscreen button. This is an inconsistency that is not simply superficial, it also impacts usability. Please fix!

Postby Guest » 08 Apr 2006 06:21

Here's a think i notice. Whilst playing fearless i tried to force subtitles position into the black letter boxed area that you get when you go full screen. Howerver the furthest it would stay is a position 0 even if i had a negative number ie -100.

It seems as the subtitles are still confined within the movie size itself.

Postby Guest » 08 Apr 2006 12:51

not sure of this is the right place to post.

i just download an anime episode that's encoded using XVID video, AAC (MPEG4-audio) audio, and put in an MP4 container.

0.8.4 VLC mac os X
error msg shows up "ffmpeg: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)", video starts to stutter...

0.8.5test2 VLC mac os X
no audio, video plays fine as far as i can tell if i don't touch the slider or the fast forward keys... if i do... this error shows up "main: decoder is leaking pictures, resetting the heap
main: picture 0x29c9234 refcount is -1
main: decoder is leaking pictures, resetting the heap
main: picture to date 0x29c9558 has invalid status 6
main: picture to display 0x29c9558 has invalid status 6
main: picture 0x29c9558 refcount is -1

file advanced info tab:
Stream 0
codec mp4v
type video
resolution 640x480
frame rate 23.976024

Stream 1
codec mp4a
type audio
channels 2
sample rate 48000hz
bits per sample 16
bitrate 1536 kb/s

statistics tab:
Streaming shows up as 0 for all Sent packets, Sent bytes, Send rate.
Audio shoes up as 0 for all Decode blocks, Played buffers, Lost buffers.

am using mac version vlc, running on os x 10.4.6, 1.25GHz PPC G4.

burkso

aspect ratio os x

Postby burkso » 08 Apr 2006 17:40

I'm on Mac OS 10.3.9. It has already reported a little up, but here again:
16:9 in the aspect ratio menu doesn't work, its more like 4.3 or close to that. the other options work. It would be great it 1.85:1 (i.e. 185:100) would be added to the menu. Nice that the menu is there btw.

Entierly subjective comment: Framed output window makes it look like realplayer, which isn't so great. What about having the controls at the bottom without frame at both sides?

FORCE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FORCE » 09 Apr 2006 00:45

Image is black and no sound if i try play

sony_the_cat.mpg HD video

main warning: received buffer in the future (317442692)
main warning: vout warning: early picture skipped (317271507)
main warning: received buffer in the future (317435445)
main warning: vout warning: early picture skipped (317280288)
main warning: received buffer in the future (317427958)
main warning: vout warning: early picture skipped (317288688)
main warning: received buffer in the future (317417668)
main warning: received buffer in the future (317413654)
main warning: received buffer in the future (317390895)
Tox.im - Alternative to Skype finally
ReactOS.org: no more closed Windows, C and C++ developers needed

franpa

Postby franpa » 09 Apr 2006 03:45

vlc media player beta 2 is very unstable used while using mozilla firefox.

windows xp sp2 with latest everything.

the 1st beta didnt crash at all while i used. and i used the beta 2 installer to uninstall beta 1.

franpa

Postby franpa » 09 Apr 2006 03:47

vlc media player beta 2 is very unstable when used with mozilla firefox.

windows xp sp2 with latest everything.

the 1st beta didnt crash at all while i used it. i used the beta 2 installer to uninstall beta 1.

marten

Postby marten » 09 Apr 2006 13:55

Try manually setting a character-encoding before you open the file. subsdec error: failed to convert subtitle encoding. Try manually setting a character-encoding before you open the file.
Manualy setting encoding from Default to CP1250 solves the problem, but the earlyer versions didn't have such problem.
Could you try with the new win32 nightly? I hope to have fixed it, but i'm not 100% sure.
Another user, same problem. Using both test2 and the following (latest) nightly. vlc-0.8.5-test2-20060409-0001-win32

The subtitle is a .srt with swedish special characters in the subtitles.
All lines with swedish special characters give an error in the debug messages and the line doesn't show.

subsdec debug: invalid UTF-8 sequence: disabling UTF-8 subtitles autodetection subsdec error: failed to convert subtitle encoding. Try manually setting a character-encoding before you open the file.

cdh555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cdh555 » 09 Apr 2006 17:00

With the last two nightlies (20060408-0001 & 20060409-0001) you can't skip forward through a file playing using the http interface via 'control' calls. 20060407-0000 is the last ngihtly that correctly functioned.

Oneota

Postby Oneota » 09 Apr 2006 20:37

Are there plans to transition to a Universal binary on Mac OS X, instead of separate PPC and Intel builds?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”