VLC media player 0.8.5-test1 beta release

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
chuckenheimer
New Cone
New Cone

Beta fails to play certain .mp3 files

Postby chuckenheimer » 21 Mar 2006 08:49

Please excuse my inexperience but I have noticed something that I think needs to be reported. Could be user error though.

It seems there are certain .mp3 files that VLC beta won't play. The slider moves very quickly across the display and then returns to default without anything being played.

These offending .mp3 files play fine with WMP9 and MediaPlayerClassic (latest version) and I was curious if others had seen this behavior and if there is a cure.

Thanks!

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 21 Mar 2006 15:02

You will see that it is about to crash when the full screen picture turns all white, then you see that little coloured ball spinning and then Poof..it's gone.

Only works if you shift between windowed and fullscreen really fast, about 10 -15times..
Could you download a recent nightly build and check whether you can still reproduce this bug. As far as I remember, a fix was committed on this issue a few days ago.

chuckenheimer: could you upload a sample somewhere or if you don't have any webspace with a describing txt-file to ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming? Thanks.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

chuckenheimer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chuckenheimer » 21 Mar 2006 17:39

[/quote]
chuckenheimer: could you upload a sample somewhere or if you don't have any webspace with a describing txt-file to ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming? Thanks.[/quote]

This is copyrighted material - a song - and I'm concerned about doing so. What do you think?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 21 Mar 2006 18:03

Well, either encode free material and use that (but from what I read in your posts, you don't have access to the encoder) or upload your original stuff to our ftp. It is only accessible by the VideoLAN team through secure, 128-bit-encrypted connections. Additionally, incoming material won't be re-distributed in any case (I guess that you would have to trust us there).
If your MP3s are water-marked, mention this in the accompanying text-file so we make sure that they are being deleted after our tests.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Skins2 Interfacte

Postby Guest » 22 Mar 2006 00:53

Hi My Skins2 Interfacte shortcut does not work. dunno why . any help please ? ?

Tombigel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

crop to 16:9 isn't 16:9

Postby Tombigel » 22 Mar 2006 02:30

vlc-0.8.5-test1-20060321-0001-win32
when I set "crop" option to 16:9 on a wide screen (2.38:1) film, it does nothing (in full screen), all others work.
in window mode, I managed to "confuse" the interface when switching between crop modes so I couldn't get the movie back to full width .

movie details: Xvid, 608X256

anon

GUI etc

Postby anon » 22 Mar 2006 09:21

Here are my comments (Windows XP Pro):

1.) It would be nice for VLC to remember its position on the screen, so next time it is started it appears where it was left.

2.) Some of the balloons that appear with explanations in the Preferences are too long to be displayed within the screen and are unreadable.

3.) It would be nice to have an option not to allow multiple instances of VLC. The option that exists right now does not work if one clicks the executable multiple times.

4.) It would be cool if one can stop VLC from resizing the screen when videos are played and just open them in a window whose size is defined by the user.

5.) A built-in autoplay would be great. I.e. when a media file is double-clicked and VLC opens, playing automatically would be fabulous. I think right now that only works if fullscreen is enabled or if the program is already running.

I know these are superficial, but they would help the average user a lot.
Cheers!

FORCE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FORCE » 22 Mar 2006 11:31

Please make some plugin or audio filter like SRS Trubass, equalizer wont give good experience for movies and music.

Subtitles run faster than movie in 0.8.5 test1
Tox.im - Alternative to Skype finally
ReactOS.org: no more closed Windows, C and C++ developers needed

franpa

Postby franpa » 22 Mar 2006 13:04

vlc test 8.5 test-1

*.xm files are played weird... this one in particular is all ive tested with.

http://modules.pl/modules/aceman/AceMan ... Nature.zip

chuckenheimer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chuckenheimer » 22 Mar 2006 21:40

Well, either encode free material and use that (but from what I read in your posts, you don't have access to the encoder) or upload your original stuff to our ftp. It is only accessible by the VideoLAN team through secure, 128-bit-encrypted connections. Additionally, incoming material won't be re-distributed in any case (I guess that you would have to trust us there).
If your MP3s are water-marked, mention this in the accompanying text-file so we make sure that they are being deleted after our tests.
Felix,

I uploaded FKuhne.rar to your FTP site with a sample mp3 file and text file describing the error I am seeing.

Thanks!

Miguel_ULPGC

Helllo

Postby Miguel_ULPGC » 23 Mar 2006 12:39

Hola a todos¡¡¡¡¡
Existe un problema en el protocolo RTSP de las versiones superiores
a la 0.8.2. Este error consiste en que cuando estamos reproduciendo un objeto VOD bajo RTSP e intentamos avanzar o retroceder la reproducción, el servidor no nos hace caso y se sigue reproduciendo como si no hubiera pasado nada. Esto no sucedia en la versión 0.8.2, en la cual funcionaba perfectamente.

SALUDOS

RTSP's protocol in VOD doesn't work properly. If you forward or rewind the stream, the server won't let you......

thanks.....

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Mar 2006 18:28

I uploaded FKuhne.rar to your FTP site with a sample mp3 file and text file describing the error I am seeing.
Thanks, a ticket is filed and solved hopefully soon ;)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Carl

Multiple instances

Postby Carl » 24 Mar 2006 12:22

Hi,

I can't seem to get multiple instances working in 0.8.5, I could in 0.8.4.
Anybody got any info about this?

Thanks
Carl

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Multiple instances

Postby dionoea » 24 Mar 2006 13:54

I can't seem to get multiple instances working in 0.8.5, I could in 0.8.4.
Anybody got any info about this?
Behavior when clicking on a file is to force 1 instance mode. You can still launch multiple instance by clicking on the VLC program or shortcut.
Several people have complained about that so i'll try to make that configurable in the final release.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

dunnaldur

CBT Nuggets video playback. fourcc: TSCC

Postby dunnaldur » 25 Mar 2006 13:24

Video encoded in fourcc: TSCC.

I've some .avi files as part of the CBT Nuggets training videos.

Previous versions of VLC/Mpayer either didn't play the video at all, or they play the video but the colors are totally mixed up.

The VLC 0.8.5-test1 plays does show the colors perfectly fine, but unfortunately there is a bigger issue.
During playback i can see some frames, then a bunch of frames of black screen, see a few frames then black screen, endless loop.

The videos play perfecty fine in quicktime if this decoder is installed:
http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 25 Mar 2006 17:13

@chuckenheimer: your issue was fixed this afternoon. Feel free to download a nightly build tomorrow and check for yourself.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

VLCGuest

Go to position

Postby VLCGuest » 25 Mar 2006 23:04

The "Go to position" feature is very nice. Please consider allowing input in the

Code: Select all

minute:second
and not just in seconds.

It is the 21st. century after all.

siewa26

Postby siewa26 » 26 Mar 2006 11:28

Hello.

Is it possible to play movie files with russian letters in the file name on Windows XP with english language prosperites? I always get error that VLC can't open the file, but whan I change file name with using only latin letters - VLC plays file without a problems.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 26 Mar 2006 11:43

@ VLCGuest: thx for the hint. I'll work on that for the OSX-GUI :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

giorsat

no audio on vlc 085 test1 and macintel

Postby giorsat » 26 Mar 2006 12:36

sorry to say that even deleting past preferences no audio available in any way on vlc 085 test 1. nightly build stopped working since 23 february . since than no audio available.

GIORSAT

Postby GIORSAT » 26 Mar 2006 12:37

the no audio problem on mac intel... I didn't specify

Postby Guest » 26 Mar 2006 17:50

Love to see java bindings being included in vlc. Actually, we work on a open source project in a comp. sci. course which hopefully will be based on vlc. It is a java mandatory couse, so this comes right in time. However, it needs to run on windows xp, linux 2.6, mac os x, and soliaris (or at least win and linux) and http://jvlc.ihack.it hasnt been updated in three months... the compile instructions seems quite tough also so we are a bit worried. If someone else has manage to make a proof-of-concept java player run in linux or windows and could share some info (maybe binaries?) it would really be apritiatet and put our mood up :-)

Jonas Forsslund aka Nimzo (jofo02 at kth . se)

Postby Guest » 26 Mar 2006 21:12

I have problem with hotkeys; pause and jumping forward and backward doesn't usually work at all. The time at right top corner goes forward, but video keeps playing. Problem occures with every format I have tried.
I'm using Nightly build vlc_0.8.5-svn20060208-1 on Kubuntu 5.10

Industry

Small Playlist

Postby Industry » 27 Mar 2006 00:41

I just realized that you're unable to delete items from the small playlist with the delete key on the keyboard, while you're able to do this in the fullsized playlist
Maybe it's meant to be this way...?
I'm using the windows build.

chuckenheimer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chuckenheimer » 27 Mar 2006 22:25

@chuckenheimer: your issue was fixed this afternoon. Feel free to download a nightly build tomorrow and check for yourself.
Righteous!

Thanks.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”