audio problem (skipping)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
vlcfiend

Postby vlcfiend » 25 Aug 2006 00:21

I think I've found a solution for the audio, and video, skipping when changing folders in winxp.

If you access My Computer through the start menu or quicklaunch, VLC will skip. If you open a folder on the desktop and go one directory higher, to the desktop, and open My Computer from there, VLC will NOT skip. I think there is something wrong with using shortcuts to My Computer which slows down windows or messes with the buffers or something.

I have no idea how to create a "non-slow" shortcut to My Computer though.

EDIT: Wohoo! If you disable "Launch folder windows in a separate process" VLC won't skip no matter where you access My Computer from.
"I am so smart, I am so smart. S.M.R.T, I mean S.M.A.R.T" -Homer Simpson

gwpswarren
New Cone
New Cone

Re: audio problem (skipping)

Postby gwpswarren » 09 Dec 2009 22:26

I'm using VLC 1.0.3 to play movie files and I'm experiencing the same sound skipping issue. I've tried multiple fixes, using different audio output modules, checking my direct X settings. Same symptoms as above, where VLC seems to be the only program with the sound skipping issue. So is the way to solve it to give it a higher CPU priority? And if so, how could I do that?

Tigrrr
New Cone
New Cone

Re: audio problem (skipping)

Postby Tigrrr » 11 Apr 2013 03:21

I think I've found a solution for the audio, and video, skipping when changing folders in winxp.

If you access My Computer through the start menu or quicklaunch, VLC will skip. If you open a folder on the desktop and go one directory higher, to the desktop, and open My Computer from there, VLC will NOT skip. I think there is something wrong with using shortcuts to My Computer which slows down windows or messes with the buffers or something.

I have no idea how to create a "non-slow" shortcut to My Computer though.

EDIT: Wohoo! If you disable "Launch folder windows in a separate process" VLC won't skip no matter where you access My Computer from.
"I am so smart, I am so smart. S.M.R.T, I mean S.M.A.R.T" -Homer Simpson
I haven't tried disabling "Launch folder windows in a separate process" yet but this seems to be the right solution.

I run VLC on WinXP and got skippy audio when playing an hour-long mp4 file. This puzzled me because I've played that file before without the sound skipping.

I noticed that I had open folder windows. I closed all of them and the skippy audio went away. I opened a folder window again and the problem came back. Closed that folder window and the problem went away again.

So I guess one solution is to make sure you don't have any open folder windows if you start to get skippy audio when playing a locally saved file with VLC. :)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”