How to encode DVD to mp4 file while skipping one chapter?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
SilveryRose
New Cone
New Cone

How to encode DVD to mp4 file while skipping one chapter?

Postby SilveryRose » 29 Dec 2006 23:14

I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the VLC-Stream-output forum because of its nature.

Here's what I'm doing.

I'm wanting to encode some DVDs to mp4 format for streaming on demand over my home network using a separate streaming server on my FreeBSD box. Some of these DVDs have chapters in the main title that aren't part of the main movie so I'd like to remove them in the encoded version.

Is there an easy to tell vlc to transcode the entire title except those chapters? I'm not opposed to copying the DVD to the hard drive and removing it that way, but I'd like to avoid that step if possible since it's a pain in the butt :)

If it helps any, in all but 2 of the DVDs I want to do this to, the chapter I want to remove is the very first one.

NOTE: If it matters, I'll be doing the encodings on both windows and freebsd boxes

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 30 Dec 2006 11:11

Try using an editor like Avidemux.

SilveryRose
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SilveryRose » 30 Dec 2006 20:52

I've used that program before, and I'd rather avoid it, especially since it adds an extra step at the end of the process instead of the beginning, something I'm trying to avoid ;)

For reference, this is the question I wanted answered:
Is there an easy to tell vlc to transcode the entire title except those chapters?
It is a Yes, with details, or no, question.

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 31 Dec 2006 06:30

Pretty much a no. Time to dig out the mpeg-2 editor. Unless you really meant to say titles instead of chapters. VLC has no trouble pulling specific titles out of a DVD.

SilveryRose
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SilveryRose » 31 Dec 2006 09:48

No, I meant chapters. :) Titles I can handle since I regularly encode anime episode DVDs for viewing on my palmOne Lifedrive on the go :)

I have a way to rip the DVDs to the hard drive first without those chapters, I was just hoping to avoid an extra step if possible since the main system I use to do the encoding (the freebsd box) is a bit slow when it comes to encoding :)

Oh well. I'll just have to rip the discs to the hard drive first then encode them.

Now where did I put that script at I used to use for encoding my anime DVDs before I got my laptop...

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 31 Dec 2006 11:36

You can select specific chapters as well in VLC (using the syntax descibed in http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... n_audio_CD )
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

SilveryRose
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SilveryRose » 31 Dec 2006 18:27

Oh, I know that, I've used that feature a few times, but I need to grab all chapters but the one, and specifying a chapter means you have to specify all the ones you want (I actually tried that before posting, I forgot to mention it though :lol: )

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”