eliminating an audio track (?)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
aliass
New Cone
New Cone

eliminating an audio track (?)

Postby aliass » 23 Dec 2006 09:35

I have a file with Spanish and English audio tracks.

In VLC, I know how to switch from one ot the other. My question is when I burn this file to a disc, is there a way to eliminate the Spanish audio track as the English and Spanish audio tracks seem to overlap each other on the burnt disc (using Toast to make the disc) with no way for me to choose one or the other.

Is there a way in VLC to eliminate one of the audio tracks?

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 23 Dec 2006 23:50

Not many containers accept multiple audio (or any subtitle) tracks that Vlc supports. I'm amazed that you accidentally got more than one audio track, amazed. 99.9% of the time the issue would be that you could only pick 1 audio track on a transcode. There's certainly easy command line parameters to choose which audio track you want. What are your input and output formats?

aliass
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aliass » 24 Dec 2006 05:35

First of all, thanks so much for your reply.

To give you a better idea of the situation; I downloaded a torrent which has Spanish and English audio tracks (like you stated, pretty rare). In VLC I can easily switch between the two on my iMac. I used Toast to burn the torrent to a DVD which worked OK but it copied both audio tracks and plays them together with no option in the burning or playing process for me to choose one or the other. It doesn't appear that Toast can do anything about that so I'm wondering if VLC can do anything.

Thanks again for your help and if there is anything that you can recommend I do it would be appreciated.

Tappen

Postby Tappen » 24 Dec 2006 10:10

I still don't know what format your files are in. Could you bring up the information window and copy that down here?

I suppose I could give you a sample of the command-line arguments to transcode a file to mpeg-2 suitable for burning to DVD, specifying which audio track to use, but I don't even know if you can use command-line parameters on a Mac.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Dec 2006 23:45

It doesn't sound like he is changing formats or transcoding via VLC. If you use another player that does not support dual audio, both audio tracks will play at the same time. There is no need to do away with one track, just use VLC and pick the audio track. Burning the file to a CD or DVD should make no difference as to how the file plays relative to your hard drive.

aliass
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aliass » 02 Jan 2007 15:30

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. VLC is a great media player and I am glad to find a forum like this to learn more about it.

here is the torrent info:

BBC.-.The.Human.Animal.-.1of6.-.The.Language.of.The.Body.XviD.Dual.audio.spanish.english.By.Prote288.avi

Once burning the DVD there is no option to choose which language to hear on my computer or on a DVD player.

Again, thanks for any help you can provide.

Tappen

Postby Tappen » 02 Jan 2007 19:12

I suppose the best bet is to transcode the Xvid file to MPEG-2 using VLC, specifying one of the audio tracks.

In Windows, the options I'd use to do this are:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=8192,deinterlace,audio-sync,acodec=mpga,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ps,dst="output.mpg"}} :sout-transcode-width=720 :sout-transcode-height=480 :aspect-ratio='16:9' :sout-deinterlace-mode=blend :sout-transcode-fps=29.97 :sout-ffmpeg-keyint=16 :sout-ffmpeg-strict-rc :audio-track=1

changing the output file, aspect ratio and audio track parameters are necessary. I don't know the equivalent on the Mac sorry.

When you have this file you input it to Toast as before but it should only have one audio track. The basic problem is that Toast doesn't seem to know about multiple audio tracks in Xvid videos.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”