Shutdown after several minutes of transcoding

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
myersge1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Shutdown after several minutes of transcoding

Postby myersge1 » 01 Jun 2004 18:57

Everything runs fine when simply receiving and playing an MPEG-2 UDP multicast video-only stream (4 Mbps). It will play non-stop all weekend. However, when transcoding to mp4v, vlc will shutdown after 1-4 minutes (inconsistent). The app window and process go away without an error message (that I can see). I have the same behaviour under v0.7.1 and v0.7.2 although the later seems to run a little longer. I have a dual-Xeon and the CPU utilization never rises above 15%. I'm doing this under Win2000 and am using the binary installations. I tried to use different 'preferences' and different mp4v bandwidths settings but same result. Does vlc write a debug log to file that I can review after it shuts down? Has anyone else experienced this?

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 02 Jun 2004 09:54

Hello,

Could you add the "logger" interface to get a logfile.

To do this:

Preferences->General->Interface
in "extra interface modules", add "logger"

Preferences->Modules->interface->logger
Select the logfile to write to

And send us the end of the logfile.
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2004 22:38

I ran with logger set to debug mode but the end of the log file is uninteresting. It ends with about 70 lines of:

mux_mp4 warning: i_length <= 0

These lines show up here and there throughout the log file so I'm guessing this is not the problem or it would have failed with the first few. I'm running Win2000 Server with hyper-threading turned off (BIOS virtual processor disabled) and affinity set for only one CPU. My CPU usage runs at < 15% and then jumps to 100% for about 10 seconds before vlc quietly shuts down. It occurs anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes after startup. It occurs whether I'm writing to file (MP4) or streaming (TS). I'm transcoding from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 (mp4v). I have not tried other transcoding codecs to see if this occurs with them. Thank you for looking at it. VLC does everything we need for our multicast/transcoding/streaming application but needs to run for months on end rather than a few minutes.

myersge1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby myersge1 » 08 Jun 2004 19:40

Some further info. We installed v0.7.2 binary on a different WinXP machine and had the same result. It would transcode from MPEG-2 (live stream) to MPEG-4 (TS or MP4) for only a couple minutes and would then quitely shutdown. Any ideas? Is anyone else out there using VideoLAN for MPEG-4 transcoding?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”