VLC-0.7.2 does not allow my DVD shortcuts to launch

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Critt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC-0.7.2 does not allow my DVD shortcuts to launch

Postby Critt » 29 May 2004 06:03

VLC-0.7.2 does not allow my DVD shortcuts to launch ...

After copying all of the DVD VIDEO_TS files into a hard drive folder like "D:\DVD_VIDEO\Spiderman" I created a desktop icon to launch it like this:

Shortcut:
Target: "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "dvdsimple://D:\DVD_VIDEO\Spiderman@1:1" "vlc:quit"
Start in: "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC"

This method works fine for VLC-0.7.1 (Windoze XP) but not for VLC-0.7.2. It attempts to launch VLC but at the point when the video window would appear, the application exits.

I like this method for small children because they are not handling the DVD's and therefore cannot damage them.

How should I code my shortcuts to work again with VLC-0.7.2 ?

Critt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Critt » 31 May 2004 05:15

Solved !

I guess I wasn't persistent enough to resolve this problem. I have it working fine now.

Thanks again for this wonderful player !

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 31 May 2004 12:33

I work with business development types sometimes -- equivalent to small children :)

What did you do to get it working?

Thanks.

Critt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Critt » 31 May 2004 19:19

It appears that dvdsimple:// really must reference a true device now (or at least that particular library module needs a real device). When referencing a folder structure on a hard drive VLC-0.7.2 will return the following message:

dvd error: dvdcss cannot open device
main error: no suitable access module for `dvdsimple/://D:\DVD_VIDEO\Spiderman@1:1'

(I know the error message has misspellings, but that's the way it came back)

My solution was to change the shortcut to use dvd:// instead. I also eliminated my reference to vlc:quit. It was useless for this application.

Now I can move ahead with an upgrade to VLC-0.7.2.

markfm, please don't let the business development types know how you feel about them. A customer is a valuable thing. I got a laugh from your comment though. Real life makes the best humor. :)

Critt

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 31 May 2004 19:31

Thans for documenting it.

Our BD types are good eggs, readily acknowledge that they aren't engineers. :)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”