skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found

Postby Guest » 25 May 2004 17:21

I just compiles vlc, but I can't run it: whatever I press, nothing shows up, but these messages appear on the console instead:

$ vlc
VLC media player 0.7.2 Bond
[00000181] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000180] skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found
[00000180] skins2 interface: skin: VLC OSX Interface author: BigBen
[00000182] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000180] skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found

I compiled vlc with the following options:
./configure --enable-livedotcom --enable-v4l --enable-skins2 --enable-flac --enable-aa --disable-dvd

Any clues?

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 25 May 2004 19:48

You didn't compile the wxwindows module.
It is needed for all the dialog boxes of the skins2 interface.

Postby Guest » 25 May 2004 23:01

I thought it is enabled by default (at list that's what ./configure --help says).

OK, I'll try once again with this option.

Postby Guest » 25 May 2004 23:24

Sorry, it didn't work, error is the same as I described in my 1st post.

I compiled now with such options:

./configure --enable-livedotcom --enable-v4l --enable-skins2 --enable-flac --enable-aa --disable-dvd --enable-wxwindows

After I start vlc:

$ vlc
[00000176] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000175] skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found
Couldn't gzopen /home/tch/.vlc/skins2/default/theme.xml
[00000175] skins2 interface error: Failed to open /home/tch/.vlc/skins2/default/theme.xml for parsing
[00000175] skins2 interface error: Failed to parse /home/tch/.vlc/skins2/default/theme.xml
Couldn't gzopen share/skins2/default/theme.xml
[00000175] skins2 interface error: Failed to open share/skins2/default/theme.xml for parsing
[00000175] skins2 interface error: Failed to parse share/skins2/default/theme.xml
[00000175] skins2 interface: skin: VLC OSX Interface author: BigBen
[00000177] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000175] skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found

Same happens when I copied /usr/local/share/vlc to ~/.vlc

AsMaX
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby AsMaX » 25 May 2004 23:31

Indeed wxwindows is enabled by default in configure, but it really doesn't seem to have been built (you can check with vlc -l | grep wx).
Isn't there any error message during the configure ?
By the way the skins interface should appear anyway, right ?

Postby Guest » 25 May 2004 23:48

Yeah, beautiful interface appears (with rounded edges etc.), but I can't do nothing.

vlc -l|grep wx gives me nothing.

I didn't see any configure/compile errors, I have to check one more time, more carefully this time.

Postby Guest » 25 May 2004 23:52

No, no errors.

I had some warnings concerning CDDB and Xinerama:

checking X11/extensions/Xinerama.h usability... no
checking X11/extensions/Xinerama.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xinerama.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the vlc lists. ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------ ##
checking for X11/extensions/Xinerama.h... yes
checking for XineramaQueryExtension in -lXinerama_pic... no
checking for XineramaQueryExtension in -lXinerama... yes

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 26 May 2004 02:14

You just don't have wxWindows installed.
VLC will enable it's wxWindows option by default IF it detects that you have it installed.
You should install wxGTK and configure/make VLC again.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 26 May 2004 11:30

At first I thought it would help, but it didn't.

Now it runs; in "Settings" menu I have "switch interface"; if I pick wxwindows, it segfaults.
If I pick skins2, beautiful-round-edged windows appear, and if I try to press something, it just segfaults as below:

$ vlc
Couldn't gzopen /home/tch/.vlc/skins2/default/theme.xml
[00000177] skins2 interface error: Failed to open /home/tch/.vlc/skins2/default/theme.xml for parsing
[00000177] skins2 interface error: Failed to parse /home/tch/.vlc/skins2/default/theme.xml
Couldn't gzopen share/skins2/default/theme.xml
[00000177] skins2 interface error: Failed to open share/skins2/default/theme.xml for parsing
[00000177] skins2 interface error: Failed to parse share/skins2/default/theme.xml
[00000177] skins2 interface: skin: VLC OSX Interface author: BigBen
Segmentation fault

I compiled with that options:

./configure --enable-livedotcom --enable-v4l --enable-flac --enable-aa --disable-dvd --enable-wxwindows --enable-skins2

and 2nd time without --enable-skins2; both have the same bug.
Is this but in 0.7.1 too, or am I missing something?

AsMaX

Postby AsMaX » 26 May 2004 13:07

There is a bug in the wxwindows library which causes this segfault when you try to switch between wx and skins interface. Try to run directly the skins interface with ./vlc -I skins2.
If it still segfaults (it shouldn't happen!) please compile vlc in debug mode to get a core dump.

Postby Guest » 26 May 2004 16:04

Everything works now, thanks! :)

wanamux

cannot work for me

Postby wanamux » 07 Jun 2004 14:01

i' cannot have skins2 enabled.... i've the same error but i can't have a solution. I think i've compilled the wxwindows plugin (with the option --enable-wxwindows at the ./configure). I've built the source code of wxwindows 2.5 in the download page of this site. I'v also uninstalled all the wxGTK 2.4 rpms.... I'm using fedora core 2.. Any suggestion??? PLZ HELP!!! I want to to see this beautiful skin fully working !!! (thanx bigbeng!!) :roll:

Postby Guest » 07 Jun 2004 14:23

Yeah, it's probably you don't have some devel package installed (but which one?).

A big request to all VLC developers: would it be possible to show a sort of "sum up" after running ./configure:

- all video codecs enabled
- all video codecs disabled
- all audio codecs enabled
- all audio codecs disabled
- interfaces enabled
- interfaces disabled
- other enabled/disabled.

Similar approach (with codecs) is in mplayer I believe.

I would like to have this feature, because it's not hard to implement (I'm no coder, but it doesn't seem hard, does it?), and although user can enable something using --enable-some-feature in ./configure script, sometimes it isn't enabled, because some headers are not installed (and there is no clear information given on that by ./configure script).

wanamux

still doesn't work....

Postby wanamux » 07 Jun 2004 18:48

PLZ HELP! I simply need someone that explain to me the correct way to enable the wxwindows CORRECTLY for vlc....i've tried any kind of solutions... but no way to get out of this mess!!! I'm a newbie.... i've googled the error log but the answer is always this forum, but here i still havn't found what i'm looking for.... (i'm happy today!!!! let me sing a little bit!!!)..... Thanx to vlc community

wanamux

it works now!

Postby wanamux » 08 Jun 2004 02:24

I'v found a solution to my problem (thanx to ipkiss..). i've just moved all the libwx files from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib.... and all works perfectly now! I've fedora core 2...maybe others people with my same system can find this hint usefull. Check with ./vlc -vvv if there is ani warning concernig the wxwindows plugin.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 08 Jun 2004 10:53

i've just moved all the libwx files from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib
Hum... a much nicer solution would be to add '/usr/local/lib' to your /etc/ld.conf, and then to run 'ldconfig' as root...

wanamux

nicer solution

Postby wanamux » 08 Jun 2004 16:13

Surely you are in right ipkiss.... but now that it's all working i won't change anything!!!!Until the next problem, of course!!!.... thanx again!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”