playlist structuring issue!!

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
vlc_user65

playlist structuring issue!!

Postby vlc_user65 » 13 Aug 2006 21:09

hi folks,

please dont tell me that i cannot structure my playlist properly :D
i mean, i create folders and subfolders, i arrange special naming and have listed up my streams, mp3s, and videos. so i save the playlist (whether in m3u or xspf format makes no difference regarding my problem) but when loading it, all the structure is gone! i mean are you kidding me? i mean vlc > anything :D and its not possible to have proper structure in your playlist? so why is it possible to create folders and such there anyway?

so please tell me some kind of workaround.

thx in advance for any help.

greets, vlc_user65

vlc_user65

Postby vlc_user65 » 14 Aug 2006 12:03

*push*
anyone please help, im so desperate =/

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Aug 2006 19:23

From time to time I have seen others mention this. I don't create real long play lists and when I do it generally isn't longer than an double album. To date I haven't had much problem. But, it seems the best way to structure a playlist is to use an editor.

The playlist functions are being reworked for the next revision and are still not complete, so I guess we will all need to wait and see. :)

Postby Guest » 14 Aug 2006 21:26

thank you for your reply dj,

with editor you mean something like notepad i assume, don't you? so which "language" or which tags/expressions are to be used when i want to have folder-structure in a playlist?

greets

vlc_user65

Postby vlc_user65 » 14 Aug 2006 22:35

me again ... it definately HAS to be possible, as the function is featured on the "official screenshhots" on the vlc main page.

ie: http://download.videolan.org/vlc/screen ... aylist.png
ie: http://download.videolan.org/vlc/screen ... sx-mp3.jpg

ok, these are screens from a non-windows OS, but that shouldnt make a difference i think, but apparently it does, since cannot get it to work =/

so my last hope :D is asking for further information on how to manually edit the playlist with an editor.

greets

vlc_user65

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 14 Aug 2006 23:36

The wxwin snapshot is a bad example. SAP is not a real playlist.

The macOsX snapshot illustrate well your question, though. But nothing tells you that this playlist results from opening an m3u or a xspf.
Personnaly i think it's results from using "open a directory" from the manage menu in the playlist window

There is no standard playlist format managing a tree playlist AFAIK. we think to extend xspf at some point but it has not been done yet.
Xtophe

vlc_user65

Postby vlc_user65 » 15 Aug 2006 00:28

well ok, that clarifies much.
thank you for answering, although i wish there was something like a treeable playlist :D
keep up the good work guys! as i stated in my first post: vlc > all.

greets, vlc_user65

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 15 Aug 2006 22:34

The treeable playlist format is XSPF, and will be in use and fully supported from version 0.8.6
Don't use PMs for support questions.

vlc_user65

Postby vlc_user65 » 16 Aug 2006 17:38

wooot :D

can you guys please give just a hint how well deleveloping is going? ;-)

greets, vlc_user65

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 20 Aug 2006 01:23

Not very quickly, unfortunately :)

We are progressing, but VLC 0.8.6 is still a few months ahead.
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”