Strange diagonal tearing

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Frater Kork
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Strange diagonal tearing

Postby Frater Kork » 26 Apr 2004 15:58

Dont know if this is tearing as other people understand it...
Hi again by the way :)

Whenever I play movies in fullscreen I see a noticeable diagonal line between the upper left and the lower right corners.
It seems as if the two separated parts of the image are updated one frame out of synch so it gets very noticeable during action scenes.

The problem seems to go away if I disable overlays, however then the CPU load goes way up so running subtitles or filters like deinterlace is out of the question. Enabling page buffering in RAM works as well, however the video looks awful then.

This problem is especially noticeable on my 2GHz P4 with 512RAM and a GForce4MX400 running W2KPro

Presumably it is a video driver issue, but I have swapped cards and drivers a bit and still the "diagonal tearing" shows up.
Anyone else seen this?
Cheers!

iCV
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iCV » 12 May 2005 17:15

I've the same tearing problem but I use MAC OSX with TV LCD.

Now the LCD TV work on 50hz but the system work with higher refresh now can set VLC to work with exactly 50hz refresh??

thanks

Snakebert

Diagonal video tearing

Postby Snakebert » 02 Feb 2006 03:43

I had the same problem and I fixed it by changing the default output to Direct X. This found under preferences, output modules (advanced).

Good luck.

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2006 09:46

i fixed it with a new driver for my GF FX5200

voxel

Postby voxel » 23 Feb 2006 06:30

I was having the same problem with the "tearing" in fullscreen video, and changing the default video output module (Preferences > Video > Output Modules > advanced) to OpenGL (DirectX seems to work as well)

Thanks for the tip!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”