Please help with delay after keypress!

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
james0001
New Cone
New Cone

Please help with delay after keypress!

Postby james0001 » 12 Jul 2024 19:55

Dear everybody, how is it possible to have a small delay after you press the play button?
PLEASE help with this!!!
I hate videos playing the millisecond i press a button!
I don't understand what benefit it can possibly give to anybody for that instantaneous response to exist!
The right way to have the player respond is to have a little delay, surely!
The PRIMARY function of ANY 'player'is to PLAY video!!! But that VERY function is broken!!!!!
Please somebody help with this!!!!!!!!!

James :)

james0001
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Please help with delay after keypress!

Postby james0001 » 25 Jul 2024 10:42

I am still waiting for somebody to reply to this query.

Why can't VLC have a toggle setting to modify the speed of response to pressing play etc?

Does nobody else find it utterly jarring that the very millisecond their finger presses a button, vlc reacts?

This is ludicrous! Nothing is 'instantaneous'. What possible benefit is there in the action/function being requested happening before one's finger has even begun to leave the button one has pressed????

It is obviously too fast!

For heaven's sake will somebody reply please.

Thank you,

James :)

P.s. I know Youtube does it too, and it is ridiculous. Just serves to make the user feel less in control. Ridiculous. I also write messages to them to try to get this issue solved.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 25 Jul 2024 11:32

We are sorry that you don't like the software. Unfortunately the vast majority of users want it the way it is, so we will not change it. You should probably use some other software that fits your needs and tastes better.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

james0001
New Cone
New Cone

Postby james0001 » 30 Aug 2024 21:15

Hello Rémi,
Thank you for your reply.

I did not say I don't like the software.
I began using VLC probably twenty years ago and there was always a delay between keypress and the resultant action, until recent years.

There is no way that you can say 'the vast majority of users WANT it the way it is'' as 'the vast majority of users' are sheep who don't think, as you know, and will just accept whatever you give them.

This is a legitimate and essential point that I am raising. The very function of VLC is to 'play video'. To have a video play the very nanosecond the play button is pressed is ridiculous.

The user should have the OPTION to CHOOSE to have a slight delay between keypress and action. I don't understand how you aren't seeing the severity of this obvious problem!

It is like if you step into your car and SUDDENLY you are slapped in the face with 50km/h, or you sit in a restaurant and read the menu and SUDDENLY the food is THROWN into your face!

A sensible delay is essenial in many things!

What use is it to have the video play THE VERY NANOSECOND the button is pressed??????????????????? IT MAKES ZERO SENSE!!!!! C'EST DISCORDANT!!!!!
I am not asking you to change the function, I am asking you to install a toggle/option for the user to use to insert a delay into this part of the software.

It is too fast monsieur!!!!!!!! Trop rapide! I know you care about your software.

Je sais que vous vous souciez de votre logiciel. Moi aussi !! Je l'utilise tous les jours!

S'il vous plaît mon ami, réfléchissez encore.

James :-)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”