Playing iTunes Protected AAC files is VLC

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

Postby Guest » 14 Mar 2004 08:40

I've found that it does exactly what you describe on the PC.... but works fine on the mac
anyone found a way to get it to work on a PC?

Postby Guest » 14 Mar 2004 09:15

I've found that it does exactly what you describe on the PC.... but works fine on the mac
anyone found a way to get it to work on a PC?

found out how to make it work, right after I posted that. make sure that the source file/s, and the destination location is not in a private directory (i.e. x:\Documents and Settings\username). verified on multiple PC's. Maybe now the coders can fix it ;-)

Tevya

Re: Itunes AAC files

Postby Tevya » 16 Mar 2004 22:29

I got the the protected Itunes songs to play in VLC and stream the files to a mp4 minus the DRM protection, but are these recompressed files or are they still compressed from Apple's original file?
I emailed the guy over MPEG4 and such. Here's what he said in reply to a question similar to yours:

"Basically: yes you could read the aac file from iTunes, and you can
save it without recompressing it as a .mp4 file. For now you are limited
to 1x but the next version (or the CVS) will go faster.
With the released version, all tags are lost (author,artist,...) with
the CVS/next version some meta/tags informations will be kept."

mrfett
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrfett » 17 Mar 2004 00:06

wow if tags were kept that'd be sweet.
think for yourself

Scrubb

Still no luck for me: drms_init failed

Postby Scrubb » 02 May 2004 19:57

I've installed iTunes 4.5.0.31
I bought a song in M4P format.
I installed VLC stable 0.7.1
All Running on WinXP Pro

I tried playing the M4P. I got no audio and the only message I could find was: mp4 error: drms_init( priv ) failed

I read this entire thread and uninstalled VLC and upgraded to: 0.7.2-test1 out of the windows nightly builds.

In desperation I have manually created:
C:\Documents and Settings\$Username\vlc
C:\Documents and Settings\$Username\vlc\drms
C:\Documents and Settings\$Username\drms
C:\Documents and Settings\$Username\.drms

Still I get the same error as above and no audio.
I feel like I am very close but I am missing one critical thing.
Can someone please lend me a hand?

My procedure is simple.
a) Untar vlc
b) execute it from the untar'd directory
c) quickopen M4P

no luck.

Thanks in advance.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 03 May 2004 01:58

iTunes is using a new key system in version 4.5 which VLC doesn't yet support.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Scrubb

Ok, how long is yet?

Postby Scrubb » 03 May 2004 20:27

iTunes is using a new key system in version 4.5 which VLC doesn't yet support.
Is this a pipe dream or is this under development? Just curious about the status of handling this next key system.

Thanks!
Scrubb

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 04 May 2004 02:29

it will be there eventually, when it gets cracked again. VLC depends on external projects for this. no ETA, no other info.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

jlj

Postby jlj » 05 May 2004 01:21

VLC does not depend on external projects for this.

Support for 4.5 will be in SVN later today (Wednesday).

--
jlj

jlj

Postby jlj » 05 May 2004 23:37

TeanerTiner

Removing DRM from ACC

Postby TeanerTiner » 07 May 2004 21:03

I downloaded the latest build and the files play correctly. However, I cannot get the file to be written out to disk. The article seems to have a slightly different interface and although I think I am doing it correctly, the output stream is not written to disk. Any ideas?

OS X key getter?

Postby Guest » 08 May 2004 01:34

Any idea when the OS X version of VLC will have the ability to rescue one's keys? I'm not complaining mind you, I'd just rather not have to use Virtual PC for the task.

jlj

Re: Removing DRM from ACC

Postby jlj » 09 May 2004 23:10

I downloaded the latest build and the files play correctly. However, I cannot get the file to be written out to disk. The article seems to have a slightly different interface and although I think I am doing it correctly, the output stream is not written to disk. Any ideas?
Try playfair or DeDRMS instead.

--
jlj

jlj

Re: OS X key getter?

Postby jlj » 09 May 2004 23:18

Any idea when the OS X version of VLC will have the ability to rescue one's keys? I'm not complaining mind you, I'd just rather not have to use Virtual PC for the task.
The software I need to analyze PowerPC binaries costs a couple of hundred US dollars. Since I don't really have any other use for it, I haven't bought it yet. I rarely use my PowerMac, so the personal incentive is rather lacking. If I had the software, it would probably take 30-60 minutes to add support for using the user key store (SC Info.sidb) on MacOS X.

--
jlj

Postby Guest » 10 May 2004 20:28

The Playfair app running under OS X is able to retrieve keys from a connected iPod, provided the 2004-04-28 3.0 iPod software has not been installed.

jlj

Postby jlj » 10 May 2004 23:46

The Playfair app running under OS X is able to retrieve keys from a connected iPod, provided the 2004-04-28 3.0 iPod software has not been installed.
VLC can do the exact same thing (playfair uses the FairPlay code from VLC). The latest nightly build also works with the new iPod firmware.

--
jlj

Postby Guest » 11 May 2004 01:39

Is the key store different on an iPod joined to PC versus a Mac? The procedure you point to does not work with an updated iPod hooked to Mac OS X.

jlj

Postby jlj » 11 May 2004 02:45

Is the key store different on an iPod joined to PC versus a Mac?
No.
The procedure you point to does not work with an updated iPod hooked to Mac OS X.
Did you compile VLC yourself? How recent was your CVS/SVN checkout? I fixed a bug 2 days ago that prevented it from working on MacOS X.

--
jlj

olivier

Postby olivier » 31 Dec 2004 21:22

I am running build version 0.8.1 of VLC on Windows. I am getting the error

mp4 error: drms_init( priv ) failed

when trying to play mp4a files purchased from iTunes in November.

It looks from the previous postings that this problem was fixed back in May or so. Is it somehow the case that those fixes have not made it into the build version or, has there been some further changes by Apple in the encryption?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”