VLC-0.7.1 and config file requiring postproc

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
edjimarin

VLC-0.7.1 and config file requiring postproc

Postby edjimarin » 07 Mar 2004 20:57

I am trying to run the vlc-0.7.1 configure file on Solaris 9, and I am getting errors regarding not having postproc/postprocessing.h

This appears to be a new requirement that doesn't seem to be included in the secondary requirements. I tried to disable it, but it didn't take. Can anyone tell me where I can get the postproc source code?

thanx

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 07 Mar 2004 21:16

I just downloaded, unpacked, and compiled the official 0.7.1 release tarball today, it compiled clean. (everything OK) I'm using Cygwin on Windows, but all of the needed ffmpeg the files were included in the release.

When you unpack vlc-0.7.1.tar.gz, the postprocessing files are in:
vlc-0.7.1/modules/codec/ffmpeg/postprocessing

Your message showed "postproc/postprocessing.h", while it should be "postprocessing/postprocessing.h" -- typographical error?

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 08 Mar 2004 08:57

I think he's talking about ffmpeg's postproc/postprocessing header.
Just make sure you ./configure ffmpeg with --enable-pp and make sure postproc/postprocessing header is installed correctly during "make installlib" otherwise copy it over manually or ./configure vlc with --with-ffmpeg-tree=...

johnclubvec
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

libpostproc

Postby johnclubvec » 10 Mar 2004 21:08

Dear edjimarin,

I believe that the comments from others may be slightly inaccurate. I found that I was missing MPlayer's libpostproc post-processing library (reasonable, since I do not have MPlayer). I was able to do a search and find an rpm JUST for libpostproc, since other programs besides MPlayer do use this library. Among other things, the rpm installs ./usr/include/postproc/postprocess.h, which is the file vlc is complaining about. Notice that this is NOT the ffmpeg file talked about in the other posts.

Good luck.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 11 Mar 2004 16:27

libpostproc it's origines lie in mplayer. however it's now part of ffmpeg. though still available in mplayer, it's 'home' is ffmpeg now.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

johnclubvec
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

postprocess workaround

Postby johnclubvec » 10 Apr 2004 20:58

OK, guys, for the benefit of everyone who has had trouble with libpostproc and postprocess.h as of late, and having gone deep into the bowels of the ffmpeg distribution and found the real problem and a real workaround, here's the scoop. Number one, if vlc complains about not finding postprocess.h, it may also mean that you do not have the accompanying libpostproc.so installed.

Yet as of recently, while ffmpeg is set up to make and install libpostproc.so and postprocess.h, and it may even want to do that for you, the fact of the matter is (contrary to the belief of some, even the belief of certain vlc developers,) ffmpeg may NOT do that for you, no matter how many times you run .configure with "--enable-shared-pp."

Sitting quietly within the libpostproc directory, there is a Makefile just for it, and as it always has when it was within the MPlayer distribution, that Makefile is patiently waiting for a tiny flag from config.mak (config.mak is located in the main directory, ffmpeg*/config.mak): "SHARED_PP=yes." And just as soon as the libpostproc Makefile sees "SHARED_PP=yes" from config.mak, it is ready, willing, and able to do just what you want. But guess what? The main configure program may tell you that it has configured ffmpeg for "shared pp," but it may not insert "SHARED_PP=yes" into config.mak! In fact, every single time I tried, it never once did. The libpostproc Makefile never gets the proper flag, and as a result, no install.

There is a two-step workaround.

First, configure ffmpeg the way you'd like, then BEFORE making, edit ffmpeg*/config.mak, and after some convenient line, like the line

VERSION=0.4.8

add this line:
SHARED_PP=yes

DON'T delete any lines, just ADD that one, and DON'T reconfigure, as configure will make a new config.mak, minus the line you have patiently added. Save your edit. Then "make" and "make install" as normal.

If you are very lucky, make will tell you that along with ffmpeg, libavcodec, etc., it has made and installed libpostproc and postprocess.h. (You can also check in /usr/lib and /usr/include or /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include to see). But perhaps make will not cooperate, no matter how many times you say "make install all" or "make installlib" or anything else.

Give up quickly, for there is a workaround for that, also. WITHOUT re-configuring or re-making or anything else, go right into the directory ffmpeg*/libavcodec/libpostproc and (as root) say "make install" from there. Make should report that libpostproc.so and postprocess.h have been made and installed.

Good luck.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”