subtitle background

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
alx359

subtitle background

Postby alx359 » 01 Jan 2006 21:05

Hi and HNY,
How to set for e.g black background with white fonts foreground? It's a good way to improve contrast that I can't find out how to achieve with VLC.

Thanks
alex

eriksson25

Postby eriksson25 » 08 Jan 2006 22:00

I wonder the same thing, how do I get some blach shadow around the subtitle so Its readeble when the movie is light like if a person have a white t-shirt on.

0graham0

YES!

Postby 0graham0 » 12 Jan 2006 19:12

I have also been dying to know if it is possible to outline subtitles in black, its terrible on light backgrounds...

thanks

NSV

Postby NSV » 13 Jan 2006 00:26

Yes it will a very nice feature.

jacoby
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jacoby » 20 Jan 2006 16:02

I was thinking maybe they could give us a cheap solution to this for now by double rendering the subtitles. Shouldn't it be pretty easy to do the subtitles in black, then again in white in a smaller font on top of that? Might not be the prettiest solution, but it seems like a simple temporary fix.

tonsofpcs
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby tonsofpcs » 21 Jan 2006 00:02

Re-rendering with a smaller font will make it look like crap unless rekerning is considered, which will take much cpu work. It's probably easier to just do a simple drop shadow -- Offset 2 px x, 2 px y, Render in black, then offset -3 px x, -3 px y and render in white.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 21 Jan 2006 21:52

There are other issues with it as well. caching of the rendered glyphs etc.

The best solution is to write a native Windows text renderer, and a native Mac OS X text renderer, but those are gigantic tasks, for which we currently simply lack the man power.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”